Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Push to start

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Push to start

Postby ataylor233 » February 8th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Hello i have a carver 3207 thinking about the upper helm and converting it to Push to start. Does anyone have a wiring diagram so i can take a better look at the idea? i'm thinking i'm probably going to need a on off switch for acc mode. i wish I could just go to the boat and look but i cant... does anyone know how many wires are on the back of the ignition?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Push to start

Postby Midnightsun » February 8th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Did exactly that on my previous boat. Most boat ignitions are as simple as they get, only 3 wires. Connect the ignition wire to hot and simply touch the starter (solenoid wire) to hot until it starts, once going you unhook the start wire and you are golden. Piece of cake.

I used a combination of a momentary for start and latching for ignition push buttons. Works great back then and still does today. :-D

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » February 8th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Did exactly that on my previous boat. Most boat ignitions are as simple as they get, only 3 wires. Connect the ignition wire to hot and simply touch the starter to hot until it starts, once going you unhook the start wire and you are golden. Piece of cake.
I used a combination of a momentary for start and latching for ignition push buttons. Works great back then and still does today. :-D

Awesome so what do you mean unhook the start wire¿ Wouldn't The switch release when you let go can't wait to work on this.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 8th, 2019, 6:44 pm

The switches do all the work, no need to unhook anything. I was referring to the functioning of them as if you were hot wiring a boat without switches. 8-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » February 8th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post The switches do all the work, no need to unhook anything. I was referring to the functioning of them as if you were hot wiring a boat without switches. 8-)

So how do you turn the engines off?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 8th, 2019, 7:51 pm

You need an on/off switch. Either pushbutton, toggle, or rocker to turn the ignition circuit on or off. You also need a momentary on switch such as pushbutton, toggle, or rocker for the start circuit. Switch the ignition circuit on, then activate the momentary start switch. When the engine starts, let go of the switch. To stop the engine, turn off the ignition switch. Clear as mud?

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » February 8th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post You need an on/off switch. Either pushbutton, toggle, or rocker to turn the ignition circuit on or off. You also need a momentary on switch such as pushbutton, toggle, or rocker for the start circuit. Switch the ignition circuit on, then activate the momentary start switch. When the engine starts, let go of the switch. To stop the engine, turn off the ignition switch. Clear as mud?

lol ok i got it a toggle switch is what i was thinking at the start. but ok i i will map it out and order the start Buttons Thank you .

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 9th, 2019, 5:39 am

Viper is dead on. ;-)

I guess my wording threw you off. A latching switch is an ON/Off switch which is what turns the ignition on and keeps it on. When you turn it off it will turn off the engine since you cut the ignition source.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » February 9th, 2019, 7:23 am

Yes, I've seen this first hand. What was really cool was that there are no more need for keys. Also, if you want, put the ignition toggles where they are hidden, (deterant) for some else to start the boat.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 9th, 2019, 7:37 am

When I first thought this out there were several comments on another forum on how anyone could easily steal the boat. However I thought to my self nobody will figure out how the push buttons work as this is obviously a one of a kind. I also though about putting in a hidden switch which would either kill battery power or ignition to the switch. Nothing fancy or well hidden, in fact you could just use an unused accessory switch as nobody would know this switch activates the ignition circuit. Keys are so passé. :captain2:

If anyone feels that keys will prevent theft on a boat think again, the circuit is so simple anyone with minimal electrical knowhow can hot wire a boat in minutes. The newer boats and outboards are getting rather complex though.

2 jumper wires and access to the rear of the switch and I will have her started faster than you can pull the keys out of your pocket and use them. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Electrical”