Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mystery Switch and exhaust fan

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Artswarlock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 404 CPMY

Mystery Switch and exhaust fan

Postby Artswarlock » February 19th, 2019, 3:26 pm

I have a switch the same as a 110V light switch on my 2001 404 CPMY right next to the generator control panel. It controls a fan with an intake at floor level next to the couch by the steps going down to the galley. I am not sure where the actual blower is or where it exhausts to. Does anyone know what this is for? Thanks Art

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Mystery Switch and exhaust fan

Postby buster53 » February 19th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Ok, I have a 356 which is the same as a 404 without the cockpit. I don't have any 110v light switches anywhere on my boat. Every switch I have is 12v. I have the same fan but mine does not exhaust, but blows air into the salon.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 19th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Carver did install a "fresh air" fan in 404's that did not have Salon air conditioning. If you do have air, then maybe they just put it in and the AC was installed after initial construction. Probably more of a "air circulation" fan. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 20th, 2019, 12:05 pm

I believe the " fresh air "fan was installed in boats that do not have opening salon windows. Which began about 1999. Didnt have anything to do with ac. and one reason I chose my 1997 405 we have our sliding salon windows open alot in spring and fall for fresh air
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » February 20th, 2019, 12:52 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post I believe the " fresh air "fan was installed in boats that do not have opening salon windows. Which began about 1999. Didnt have anything to do with ac. and one reason I chose my 1997 405 we have our sliding salon windows open alot in spring and fall for fresh air

Sounds good to me. My 2001, 356 does not have opening windows

Topic author United States of America
Artswarlock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 404 CPMY

Postby Artswarlock » February 24th, 2019, 10:09 am

Thanks for the input! I first thought it may have something to do with ventilating the engine compartment. I had a problem with vapor lock I believe last summer. Letting the generator run most of the day, and having a hard start on the engines. Finally got one to start and headed back on one and halfway back got the second engine to start.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » February 25th, 2019, 9:04 am

Artswarlock wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the input! I first thought it may have something to do with ventilating the engine compartment.

That's what your engine room blower is for.

Return to “Electrical”