Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

trim tab controls

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
rjr
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 440 MY

trim tab controls

Postby rjr » May 18th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Has anyone changed the controls for the trim tabs? I have the little buttons and have purchased the rocker type controls. Looks like the hole for the rocker set may be a little bigger than the existing opening. True?

Also, is there a trick for removing the base for the button controls?

Thanx in advance.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: trim tab controls

Postby bud37 » May 19th, 2019, 6:14 am

Who is the maker of the tabs?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 19th, 2019, 8:26 pm

I assume these are Bennett tabs? I've done the switch twice, once on an older boat and once on the bridge on the one I have now. I don't recall having to make the hole larger, but it's possible as it's been years since I did it.

I definitely prefer the rockers over the push buttons. I still have the push buttons at my lower station, but mostly I'm up on the bridge. A friend of mine made a machined aluminum cover for the button style that looks really nice.

As to your other question about removing the base.... I don't recall it being an issue. I thought you just took the cover off and there were a couple screws holding the assembly down. Next time I'm at the boat I can take a better look though.

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » May 22nd, 2019, 6:08 pm

bud37 they are Bennett tabs.

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » May 22nd, 2019, 6:14 pm

Thanx. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 22nd, 2019, 11:13 pm

I have the rocker type switches. I seem to use my tabs maybe twice per year. Once before launch to make sure they work and maybe once more if I have more than 8 people on the boat and they all move to one side while I am on plane. Otherwise my boat seems to run pretty flat, and any tab actually slows me down and uses more fuel according to the flow scan.

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » May 26th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Well 2 things - 1) I attempted the switch and it turned into a goat rope. In order to get the cover off, I had to break it. The base is coming off in pieces. No screws but apparently lots of glue. Then I found out I could pull the rubber button up but in doing so the bayonet type connectors disengaged. When I saw that one wire was connected to both down switches and after looking at the replacement unit, I called the electronics guy. More later.
2)Tom - of it uses more fuel! It's like a penalty for attempting to get the boat to perform properly.

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » May 30th, 2019, 8:45 pm

So I found out the cover was held in place by a single bolt accessible from under the console. Who knew? And why would that method of fastening be used? The rocker base is held in place by four screws inserted from the TOP! Needed to enlarge the opening minimally and the wiring was straightforward.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 30th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Well that sounds about right....there are no straight bolt ons without some form of engineering near as I can tell.....the bright side , now you get to find out if the tabs make a difference in performance.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”