Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Help with proper battery connections

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
02hydrotherapy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 350 Mariner
Twin 350ci engines

Help with proper battery connections

Postby 02hydrotherapy » May 30th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Last yr I purchased a 2002 Mariner 350 that has 4 batteries in it. When the boat arrived and looking in the engine room a worker at the dry dock noticed the batteries are all linked together and mentioned he had never seen this. I have been unable to separate the batteries using the aft cabin battery switch ( 1, both, 2 ) therefore my batteries are going dead while out for 2-3 days. They are wired in parallel series and I would like to hook them up correctly, individually.

If anyone can send me a picture and description of how their batteries are hooked up or a link I could go to for this info I would greatly appreciate it. And I'm assuming ea battery would then need to be connected to the on board charger? As of now there is just one wire connected to the batteries from the charger.

Thanks, Jerry

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Help with proper battery connections

Postby mjk1040 » May 30th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Can u post a picture? Are all 4 batteries 12 volt? Do u have a generator? Charger wire should have been attached to battery switch I believe originally.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author United States of America
02hydrotherapy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 350 Mariner
Twin 350ci engines

Postby 02hydrotherapy » May 30th, 2019, 2:19 pm

I don't have a picture and all four batteries are 12 volt. In the owners manual it states that it originally came w 3 batteries, 2 for the engines and one dedicated to the generator so somewhere along the way a fourth was added. But then they hooked them all up together positive to positive and negative to negative. The charger wire is connected to the battery closest to the generator and oddly enough that battery is always strong enough to start up the gen when the other 3 batteries are dead which I cannot understand?

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 30th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Easy way without a volt meter is to disconnect all positive cables. Negatives all stay connected or tied to common point. Now Assuming no one has miswired the battery switch. Or it is bad. Turn off charger. Turn on 12vdc house.lights or some other 12vdc circuit. put battery switch in 1 and try connecting positive wire one at a time and see which one the lights come on. That's #1 then put batt switch on 2 and do the same thing. You'll have position 2. . It's fine to have 2 house batteries wired in parrallel for more capacity but depending on your house load you may be asking more than you current batteries can provide. But that's another discussion. You do need to get this figured out first.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 30th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Welcome to the forum......350 mariners around those years came with 3 batteries original, wired #1, #2 then both at the switch.....The third battery is only for the generator and that orange colored charger wire you see is just for the genny battery.

The other two are charged thru the switch and the breakers on your panel, clearly marked there.There is also a breaker for the genny charge circuit. Originally one battery was just #1 on the switch and so on......the entire boat would be fed from either #1, #2 or both whatever you chose.......there are a few things hard wired such as the stereo memory, CO monitors,bilge pumps etc to either the #1 or #2 position at the back of the switch. Your maunal has the routing diagram in it.The big battery feed cables in the bilge/engine area have numbers on them that match the switch positions.

As has been mentioned some pics of this set up you now have would be helpful......
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”