Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Weird Wire

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Weird Wire

Postby Craig_B » June 10th, 2019, 12:31 pm

This might be a weird question........

So I was poking around finding out what does what in our new to us 1988 Santego.
Under the galley sink is an inverter with a single orange "extension cord" plugged into it.
I followed the wire down the starboard side until it disappeared and I have no idea what its for or where it goes.
If I turn off the inverter or unplug the orange plug nothing changes.

I think this is probably a long shot but does anybody have any idea what it may be for?

Thanks

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Weird Wire

Postby buster53 » June 10th, 2019, 1:12 pm

What on your boat needs 110v? Any chance your frig is only 110v and the previous owner wanted to be able to run it away from the dock?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » June 10th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Is the inverter connected to your batteries

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » June 10th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Ice maker?

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Craig_B » June 10th, 2019, 1:28 pm

The fridge is dual voltage and runs with A/C breaker off and the inverter turned off and/or plug unplugged.
I can only see the male end of the orange "extension cord" the other end disappears into the boats interior.

Its a mystery.

All other outlets etc still function with inverter turned off or unplugged.
I guess I will keep searching for the other end of the orange plug. :confused:

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Craig_B » June 10th, 2019, 1:30 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Is the inverter connected to your batteries

Yes. Two big cables attached. One red one black.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 10th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Ok its raining today so good time to hunt around........detach your shorepower plug from the boat,now go round to all your plugs with a tester or 120 lamp and see if any outlets are powered up....if not then turn the inverter on and try the same thing.........leave the fridge off ( no 12 or 120 )...

My guess , the extension cord is plugged into an outlet behind a cabinet, maybe where the fridge plugs in or micro etc........let us know what happens, remember to be careful when you have an inverter,... when you think the power is off that thing can be powering up the boat, double check with a tester....

Fyi....if that is actually an extension cord, that is a NO,NO.....if all works maybe get some marine cable and fix that up.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 11th, 2019, 3:51 pm

How big is the inverter (in watts)? That will narrow down what to look for. If it's smaller, say 300-500 watts, I suspect it might be for a TV... do you have one that's only 120V? I toyed with an an inverter just to the TV for several years, mostly just because it's a good distraction for kids.

If it's larger, say 1000-1500w, then I'd suspect it'd be for a microwave and you could look behind the microwave to see if there's an extra orange plug for that purpose.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » June 11th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Craig_B, you say its on the starboard side under the sink. Which direction does it run, toward the bow or stern. If the bow, I’m wondering if it is hooked to your A/C unit. I assume you have one. Since you say it has two large battery cables to the inverted, then it must be a fairly hefty one. On the 3067 I previously owned our a/c unit was under the bed. Look for the cord in your closet in the starboard side between the galley area and state room. It may also go to the cooking range, mine was electric/alcohol. I always hated the alcohol burners and refused to use them as I got burned by an alcohol flame before and you can’t easily see an alcohol flame Do you have a genset? They may have put the inverter in so that the electric burners or a/c could be used when anchored out if you don’t have a genset or to keep from running the genset.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Craig_B » June 12th, 2019, 9:19 am

The battery wires are about the same gauge as what runs to the starter motors.
The inverter is 1500 watts.
This orange cord runs starboard to the stern which is toward the a/c unit. Its under the starboard couch.
However when the a/c breaker is off the a/c still does not run. Its possible this cord may have at one time ran the a/c but no longer does.
Either way it seems this cord is out of place and doesn't belong.
Next time I'm really bored I will see if I can find the other end.

Return to “Electrical”