Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windless 135amp breaker

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Windless 135amp breaker

Postby Sadey » June 12th, 2019, 4:58 pm

2003 356 aft cabin. Under the step the 135 amp breaker for the windless has failed for the second time. It was replaced last October and tested but not used. Tested it this April for about 6 inches of deployed chain and worked as advertised. Went to used it yesterday and the windless was inop. It’s definitely the breaker that has failed (used a meter to test it) not sure why. All connections are secure and absolutely no corrosion at any terminal related to the windless. Any thoughts? Also do most people leave the windless break on all of the time?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Windless 135amp breaker

Postby g36 » June 12th, 2019, 5:38 pm

When you say bad are you saying it's tripping, is this immediately ? If it's tripping when windlass is activated it's doing its job if there's a overloaded condition.. When you reset it does it trip again when activating the windlass? It would be somewhat uncommon for it to just fail especially when you have replaced it with new. The motor being shorted will definitely trip it or too much load. I believe you may need to take a look at wiring or windlass motor. I leave mine active all the time.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 12th, 2019, 9:54 pm

My windless breaker tripped twice last year. First time, no biggie, reset and moved on. Second time I of course, had to dig in. I found that the connections at the windless motor were fairly loose. Tightened all up and have been good to go the rest of last season. Haven't used it yet this season.

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » June 12th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Sorry, when I say the breaker is bad I meant it has failed. It is designed to trip then be able to be reset. The breaker has lost the ability to be reset. This breaker has very little travel between on and reset. There is a definite click when resetting which both of my failed breakers no longer have. Further there is power going into the breaker but no power coming out with the breaker up or down. Just seems odd after 16 years with no history two breakers have failed within days of use. Again, the failed breaker was replaced in September of 18 and tested fine. Used for literally seconds in April of 19 and failed sometime afterwards. I'll go check the connections at the winch again just to be sure. This winch is almost new. It is a 2003 but the owner hardly if ever used it at. I bought the boat with 170 hours total and again is in near perfect shape inside and out. So something is not right.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 13th, 2019, 5:03 am

Your going to have to test the amp draw on the windless motor. Low hours & lack of use, I'm thinking corrosion has over takin something in the system. Try hand operating windless, if it feels free, then you should look at the motor or relay as being corroded maybe.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » June 13th, 2019, 7:19 am

Never thought the corrosion could be unseen. Everything else is so clean I just made an assumption. I’ll check it out this weekend.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 13th, 2019, 11:19 am

Your going to need someone to operate the windless while you take amp readings. That's a lot of amps if it's tripping a 135 amp breaker, almost sounds like a dead short when you operate the windless switch. If you can disconnect the windless motor wires and separate, then try the windless switch. If breaker doesn't trip, the motor has to be the issue. If it does trip, then the short is in the wiring or relay.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » June 17th, 2019, 8:49 am

Update. Well I replaced a two hundred dollar breaker that was working just fine. I feel bad for the PO, he replaced it as well but had Skipper Bud’s do it so his expense was a bit higher. Long story short the panel under the step that the breaker is mounted to flexes just enough that it’s hard to apply the required force to trip or reset the breaker. I tripped the breaker after my test use and I’m guessing the PO did the same. Then we both were unable to restore power to the winch fearing we were going to damage the panel if more force was applied. Then both of use and Skipper Bud’s assumed the breaker had failed.
This breaker is the only way to remove power from the winch for it is hard wired to the battery. At the helm is the control panel with a little red light that indicates power to the panel and winch. I assume the light draws very little and I have a safety chain attached to the anchor to prevent a free fall situation but I don’t like the constant draw for the light on the battery. Thoughts?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 17th, 2019, 9:58 am

Yup thats exactly what that breaker is like.....it only moves a very tiny amount and requires more force applied than you would think to operate. You have to listen for the click...probably the reason people just leave them on. But I think if they are used frequently it may be a different story.

Ours is just like that, I have fooled around trying to get it set at the start of the season as well.

Odd that the marina didn't realize this.....very common complaint, easily rectified.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”