Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Freedom 25 inverter charger tripping breaker

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Freedom 25 inverter charger tripping breaker

Postby kkochner » June 15th, 2019, 9:35 pm

When I pulled in my doc today and hooked up the shore power as soon as I switched from my generator to the shore power I tripped the breaker on the main panel of the dock. It did not trip my breaker on the boat or the breaker on the power tower. After a bit of narrowing down I discovered that it was my inverter switc when I pulled in my dock today and hooked up the shore power as soon as I switched from my generator to the shore power I tripped the breaker on the main panel of the dock. It did not trip my breaker on the boat or the breaker on the power tower. After a bit of narrowing down I discovered that it was my inverter tripping it.

If I leave my inverter switch off on my panel everything works fine… As soon as I click the inverter switch it blows the breaker. How do you test the inverter to see if it’s bad or not? Can they be repaired or is it better to just buy a new one. As you can imagine I would prefer not to have to purchase one if it can be repaired etc.

I’m just not sure how to check it or test it to confirm that it’s really bad or not. It does not trip anything when my generator is running well underway. And it hasn’t had any problems at the marina where I keep it. I’m on a trip and pulled into a new marina for a week today and that’s when I noticed a problem.

Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciate it thank you all so much!
1998 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse
Volvo D-12 Diesel Engines
Port of Tulsa OK

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Freedom 25 inverter charger tripping breaker

Postby tomschauer » June 15th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Not sure what inverter you have or how you have it connected, but if you have a large one feeding 120 circuits in your panel, it shouldn't be on when shore or genny power is available. If this is the case the marina may have ground fault or arc fault breakers which will not allow current to flow "back" into the grid so to speak. If its a self contained inverter and you plug your 120v loads directly into it, it should have no effect on shore power.

kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kkochner » June 15th, 2019, 11:33 pm

It’s the freedom 2500 inverter/charger. It s the original one that came in the boat. It charges my house batteries...so I believe when the gen or shore power is connected it’s keeping the house batteries charged.
Port of Tulsa OK

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 16th, 2019, 6:08 am

From your description it sounds like you may have found the problem......possible ground fault in the inverter which the new marina is picking up.....there is some, much more sensitive upgraded dock wiring now.

Considering it is the original, maybe time for an upgrade anyway, there is some much better equipment now. Do you have other battery chargers on your boat ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kkochner » June 16th, 2019, 7:07 am

Thanks for the info...the thought had crossed my mind to check the grounding. This marina was new wiring a year or so and my marina is probably older. That would explain why it does it hear and not there. If it works at my home marina is it a safety issue to keep using it there or is just that way because it’s older equipment? Thanks!!!

Yes I have my engine battery chargers and my bow thruster battery charger.
Port of Tulsa OK

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 16th, 2019, 8:10 am

kkochner wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the info...the thought had crossed my mind to check the grounding. This marina was new wiring a year or so and my marina is probably older. That would explain why it does it hear and not there. If it works at my home marina is it a safety issue to keep using it there or is just that way because it’s older equipment? Thanks!!!

Yes I have my engine battery chargers and my bow thruster battery charger.

It could be a safety issue, I am not saying for sure it is a ground fault.....if it was it could create corrosion problems with your underwater gear etc, I say could because I don't know for sure.....the only real way to tell, is to remove the inverter and have it tested or get a real certified marine electrician to go over your boat as these things are very hard to pinpoint. It may turn out your inverter is fine and it is something else in that circuit.....Good luck man .
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”