Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Marine Fridge 12V vs Regular 115V with inverter

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Brnn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2015 Cobrey 28 SC

Marine Fridge 12V vs Regular 115V with inverter

Postby Brnn » June 18th, 2019, 9:40 am

Ok Guys, I discovered the fridge on my 38 convertiable was 115v only (must have been replaced by previous owner or maybe never was 12v) after my first year of use. I like to have my fridge working when im out and im not running the generator all the time to do it.

I can buy a bar fridge many places for cheap and put it on an inverter. The whole package might cost $450. When i looked at the dedicated marine 12v fridge they are like $1200 !!

Has anyone used a regular fridge on an inverter?? If so how does it work for you on battery power? Has anyone had both that they can compare. What are some of the more efficent models out there for in 12v.??

Cheers!
Eddy!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Marine Fridge 12V vs Regular 115V with inverter

Postby km1125 » June 18th, 2019, 11:26 am

I have a 115v fridge now as a temporary replacement for my normal 12v/115v fridge that failed. I am considering putting an inverter on it so we also have it running while on the hook. Haven't done that yet, but thought it through.

First, either you need to get a more expensive inverter which includes a transfer switch, or you need to move the plug from the "normal" plug to the "inverter" plug when you're disco'ing from shore power. Lots of good inverters can do this but the cheaper ones don't.

You also have to realize that the compressor in the 115v-only fridges are not made for a marine environment. To much bouncing around, particularly slapping waves, will cause the compressor to fail much earlier than normal. If you don't bash waves much this may not be an issue, but if you do, then consider that 115v fridge a temporary solution.

You will lose a little efficiency going through the converter. Expect about 20% more current draw than the fridge is rated for.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 18th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Many do this however as mentioned the efficiency is not as good. Personally things like this turn me off when shopping for a boat. First thought that comes to mind is what else did they cheap out on. Just my personal opinion, a 110v inverter run fridge will work fine.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » June 18th, 2019, 2:16 pm

The previous owner of my last boat had replaced the failed 12/120V fridge with a 120V and he subsequently ran the generator when away from the dock. I installed a 2800W inverter with a shunt for the first 4 years with the 120V fridge for four years and can tell you it would draw 11A DC. I eventually replaced the 120V with a proper 12/120 and the consumption dropped to 6A DC as I no longer needed to run through the inverter.

I agree with Hans that I'm always leery when making a larger purchase from someone taking shortcuts but it can be done with a sacrifice of increased generator usage.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 18th, 2019, 2:48 pm

I ran a ac under counter unit for additional space for quite a while it will work fine just have to size the battery bank properly. 10-11dc amps while running as mentioned is spot on. Sometimes you just got to break out another thousand. :-D
Here's what I have in my 405 now it comes with 3yr warranty. Have been very happy with it keeps ice cream solid and interior space is 8.1cuft.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1262894
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 18th, 2019, 7:32 pm

The only thing I got is the same advice I give to everyone considering using household appliances on a boat.......just make sure they are electrically compatible with marine wiring as far as grounds and neutrals.....I am sure most are now, but it never hurts to have it looked over first.

I do agree with the others here also, that the marine versions are probably the best choice in the long run, even though the initial cost seems high. The ability to go from 12 to 120 seamlessly will pay off. The ah usage will be substantially lower as well.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 19th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Several OEMs installed AC only fridges for years, some are probably still doing it, depends on the boat and intended/designed use I guess. My previous boat had an AC only unit to which I added a dedicated inverter with a selector switch to select between shore and inverter just for the fridge. Worked great. Never had a power issue but I had a large bank as I spent a lot of time on the hook.

If you're going the route of an inverter for the fridge, spend a little extra and get a pure sign wave unit, your compressor and fans will thank you for it.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 19th, 2019, 11:48 pm

also keep in mind when buying an inverter for a household appliance, the inverter should be rated for 150% of the running load amps of the compressor equipped appliance to be able to handle the start load.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 20th, 2019, 6:50 am

That's usually the case with most units on the market now, usually 200% for short startup spikes. On my previous boat, I added a large capacitor to the compressor which helped drop the startup load dramatically.

Return to “Electrical”