Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 530 Bonding System

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Carver 530 Bonding System

Postby kkochner » June 18th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Does anyone having any idea on how many and where all the important ground points are to check my bonding system?

I am having some electralists and have been advised to checking my bonding system.

Thanks for any info that would be helpful on where to start and what to do!
1998 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse
Volvo D-12 Diesel Engines
Port of Tulsa OK

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carver 530 Bonding System

Postby bud37 » June 19th, 2019, 8:34 am

Check with Carver, they might have the schematics for your boats' bonding system. How do you know about the electrolysis ?

Actually there is lots of info, how to and videos online about boat bonding system checks and the difference btw electrolysis and corrosion.

To add this may come from others boats so some checks will be needed....perhaps the marina will have a reference electrode to do the initial checks.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 19th, 2019, 11:26 am

All metal thru-hull hull hardware below the water line should have bonding wires hooked up to them; thru-hull intake and discharges, struts, stern tubes, rudders, and transom anodes. Some applications will also have prop shaft bonding systems attached where they ride on the spinning shaft for continuity, and some will bond the trim tabs as well. Check all the wires and every connection point. There will be bus bars that group of wires hook up to so check the connections at those as well.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » June 20th, 2019, 3:44 pm

All your underwater metal will be bonded by bus bars, etc like others have said but it all ties to the big zinc on the stern. Just take a long 6 gauge wire 50' or however long you need, connect it to one of the studs holding the zinc and then check for continuity between each thru hull, strut, etc and that stud using an ohmmeter. You should have continuity everywhere. I find it easier to do when out of the water since you have easy access to all of that from under the boat. Make sure to also check for continuity between the transom zinc and the bolts, sometimes people don't clean the connection properly and the corrosion prevents a good connection there.

Return to “Electrical”