Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windlass up/down switch

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Captain Kirk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Super Sport

Windlass up/down switch

Postby Captain Kirk » August 17th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Gotta lean on the Carver community for some help with my windlass. 2004 360 SS, Maxwell 880 windlass. Everything works except the down switch on the helm. Both foot switches work and the up control on the helm switch works too. After troubleshooting, I replaced the switch and still have the same result. :banghead:

Thank you for any guidance you might have.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Windlass up/down switch

Postby tomschauer » August 17th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Maybe a bad connection at the relay board?

United States of America
mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 330 mariner w crusader 350xl's

Postby mwest74 » August 18th, 2019, 10:40 pm

Do you have or can you get wiring diagrams for the windlass switch circuit? If you do, a continuity check is a simple thing to do. This would tell you if the wire from the switch to wherever it goes, i.e. a relay is good. If the wiring checks good, then you know you have a component issue. I could take a look if you can get ahold of the schematics.

United States of America
mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 330 mariner w crusader 350xl's

Postby mwest74 » August 18th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Do you have or can you get wiring diagrams for the windlass switch circuit? If you do, a continuity check is a simple thing to do. This would tell you if the wire from the switch to wherever it goes, i.e. a relay is good or not. If the wiring checks good, then you know you have a component issue. I could take a look if you can get ahold of the schematics.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 21st, 2019, 1:18 pm

Did this ever work for you? If not I would verify that common is on the center terminal on the switch. If it's on either outside terminal then you will get operation only in one direction as you are describing.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “Electrical”