Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Genset transfer switch

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Genset transfer switch

Postby bud37 » August 30th, 2019, 9:55 am

... :down: ....the repair yard may have opened the breakers before repairs and well, you know the rest...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Clifdunlap
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Mariner

Postby Clifdunlap » August 30th, 2019, 8:24 pm

I have a 1988 Carver Mariner. We have dual 30 amp power. My AC is on one 30 Amp power. When the generator is running my AC has power and runs fine, but when I plug into shore power I have no power to the AC unit. I read on here that the transfer relay switch might be stuck on the generator side. Where is this relay switch located? Can it be fixed or will it need to be replaced? Thanks in advance for your help. Clifford Dunlap

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 30th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Did you verify the shore power breaker at the power cord inlet is ok, as was the issue in this thread?

Topic author United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 30th, 2019, 9:16 pm

FYI guys, according to the yard manager where the boat was worked on, ABYC standards mandate circuit breakers within 3' of the shore power connection. This is my 5th larger boat and my first to have these breakers. First 4 boats were built before that standard was put in place, so I had no idea they were there until today.

buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » August 30th, 2019, 9:25 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Did you verify the shore power breaker at the power cord inlet is ok, as was the issue in this thread?

Pretty sure bud was right...the service yard turned them off and forgot to switch them on again. Odds would be pretty slim for both breakers to go bad at the same time. Boat electrics have been working just fine since early this morning.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. You came through in the clutch and got me going again.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 30th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Glad we could help!

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » August 31st, 2019, 9:49 am

Slight misquote on the ABYC standard. If the the main breaker panel is more than 3 meters (10') from the shore inlet, an additional breaker is required.

buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » August 31st, 2019, 12:38 pm

Keith S wrote:Slight misquote on the ABYC standard. If the the main breaker panel is more than 3 meters (10') from the shore inlet, an additional breaker is required.

Marina owner told me 3'. I'll take your word that it is 3 meters. Thanks.

Edit:
Not that I don't believe you, but any chance you have that in writing? I have my reason for wanting to make sure I'm 100% correct if I happen to tell someone it is 3 meters, not 3'

buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » August 31st, 2019, 4:25 pm

Clifdunlap wrote:Source of the post I have a 1988 Carver Mariner. We have dual 30 amp power. My AC is on one 30 Amp power. When the generator is running my AC has power and runs fine, but when I plug into shore power I have no power to the AC unit. I read on here that the transfer relay switch might be stuck on the generator side. Where is this relay switch located? Can it be fixed or will it need to be replaced? Thanks in advance for your help. Clifford Dunlap

Are you sure you have an automatic transfer switch? On my 1988, 3807, I had a manual transfer switch at my electric panel. Also, pretty sure older boats like that do not have a circuit breaker switch located near the shore power connection like I do.
Is this a new problem or has it always been like this since you got the boat?

Return to “Electrical”