Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Genset transfer switch

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Genset transfer switch

Postby buster53 » August 29th, 2019, 10:01 pm

On my 2001, 356, I have an automatic genset/shore power transfer switch that I'm pretty sure is located behind my 120v breaker panel. My boat will not power up electrically using shore power, but will running the genset. I'm almost certain the transfer switch is stuck in the genset position and will not switch over. In the morning I'm going to open up the panel to see if I can find the problem.
Could this be as simple as hitting it with a shot of WD-40 or is it more complicated? I've never opened this panel before or know what the switch looks like, but I'm guessing I can figure it out.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Genset transfer switch

Postby tomschauer » August 29th, 2019, 10:55 pm

Buster, the auto transfer relays are normally closed to shore power. When you start the genny you should hear the relays clicking, that is the transfer to genny power. If you hear the clicking its most likely not the relays. Did you check the breakers at your shore power inlets? They should be directly above your cord connection on the boat.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 30th, 2019, 8:33 am

I apologize for this....but , make sure the dock power is on first and go from there......if you have already ,beat me with a wet noodle.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » August 30th, 2019, 8:57 am

Checked and double checked shore power.
When I turn on my genset, I don't hear the usual chatter.

Second question, does Carver still use these auto transfer switches? I've been having some engine work done and picked up my boat from the yard it was being worked at yesterday. When I got back to my marina is when I noticed the problem. I called the boat yard owner to tell him my problem and he acted like these auto switches are unusual and haven't been used in years.

buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » August 30th, 2019, 9:13 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Did you check the breakers at your shore power inlets? They should be directly above your cord connection on the boat.

Where my shore power cords are connected to the boat, I don't see any kind of switch or breaker. Is there a switch somewhere between the connection and my breaker panel? I'm just not seeing anything.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 30th, 2019, 9:16 am

I have an 01 and it has the chattering switches.....Fyi...there was a thread or two a while back about these switches with pics, how they work and all...might be of a help to you...they are behind your panel.....don't open with any power on.

Just saw your post...there should be breakers near your shore power inlets, square boxes with covers on them. In mine they are in the cabinet at the stern with the power cord plugs, cable etc. Maybe your boat is a bit different.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 30th, 2019, 9:24 am

Just looking at the manual for a 2002 and it may just be the breakers at the panel......lets look a little further, so disregard the info about the breakers at the stern for now.....sorry.

Have a look at steps 10 and 11 here, there does in fact seem to be breakers in the shore power source box....pgae 56...

https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... _02-v1.pdf
Last edited by bud37 on August 30th, 2019, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » August 30th, 2019, 9:26 am

Yes, I have opened my panel. I don't see anything wrong. The switches seem to be in good order as I can move them on to off or however you can describe it. They don't seem locked in one position or the other.
I'll search for previous threads.
Thanks guys

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 30th, 2019, 9:45 am

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Yes, I have opened my panel. I don't see anything wrong. The switches seem to be in good order as I can move them on to off or however you can describe it. They don't seem locked in one position or the other.
I'll search for previous threads.
Thanks guys

Have a look at my last post above, small edit there, may help.

buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » August 30th, 2019, 9:50 am

Ok, found the switches at my shore power inlets. PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Thanks guys.

In addition to the 2 covered connectors for shore power, I had 3 more, one for TV cable connection and I assumed 1 was for a phone connection and didn't think about the 3rd. Anyway, number 2 & 3 covered my breakers

Return to “Electrical”