Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3867 Santego Breaker Panel Lights

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

3867 Santego Breaker Panel Lights

Postby ColRon » October 13th, 2019, 3:20 am

Well, I finally tired of looking at my circuit breaker panel and seeing all of the panel indicators not working. So after locating a spec sheet for Solico (Sorenson Lighted Controls) I determined what I needed and what I wanted. The original panel lights for the DC side were part # 1835-1-10-20140 or 18 series 14volt incandescent -6' wire leads - white base with no finished bezel - flush translucent green lens and the AC side were 1850-1-10-20140, same as above but 125 volt neon. Here is one of the original lights.
IMG_0801.JPG

With my other Santego I had learned these were rather bright, as the wattage is 1 watt each. I was determined to put back in LEDs which were only .3 or 1/3 watt.
IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

My biggest issue was finding enough replacements with the same appearance after installation. I needed 32 DC indicators and 10 AC ones. They come with either no finished bezel (so the bezel matches the color of the base, black or white), a bright (silver) bezel or black. It also seems green is one of the harder colors to come by too. most of the time I was find either red or amber. I kept watching the what was in stock at Spemco and Lakeview Electronics. I wasn't picky about the style just that they were green and LED. The AC panels would have to be 18 series as that is the only series for the 125 volt LEDs.

So finally I was able to come up with enough from Lakeview that would match. So I ordered 32 2412-3-23-20340 (24 series 14 volt led - .187 quick connects - black base with black bezel - flush diamond green lens) and 10 1815-1-13-20340 (18 series 125 volt LED-6" wire leads-white base with black bezel-flush diamond green lens). I ordered the quick connects as that will make them easier to replace in the future should the need arise. Just open the panel, pull the wires loose and replace. No more cutting and splicing. The 125 volt LEDs only come in the 18 series, so wire leads is the only choice.

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

Now the quick connects are .187" which are slightly smaller than the more common .250". So if you do the same, make sure you get the 187 series disconnects. Here's a photo comparing the two.
IMG_0803.JPG

So with everything in hand I tear into the panels and being the replacement of everything. Looks like a God awful bowl of spaghetti behind that panel, so turn the power off, because I had to trace the wires by hand. The AC side was a little easier, but it was still cluttered.
IMG_0797.JPG

Here the completed project. You will notice on the AC side I have four light that are different. These were four I already had on hand. Since Solico doesn't put the part numbers on the light I had hoped they would be LED, but turns out they were neon. :banghead: Oh well at least they match. Now I need to find two 34 series lights for the reverse polarity indicators and all will be like new again.
IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

Now the LED's aren't as bright as the old panel lights were and the diamond lens does have an effect on the lights. as you can see in the photo above of the Dc side. Some appear brighter than others in the photo, but this changes as you change the angle from which you are view them.
:beergood:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 3867 Santego Breaker Panel Lights

Postby bud37 » October 14th, 2019, 10:30 am

Now if I could just quit being lazy and bring myself to take this apart, label and bring home to drill holes etc... :-O

IMG_20191010_1356376.jpg
IMG_20191010_1356376.jpg

YIKES..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » October 14th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Well you know it’s like eating an elephant...you have to do it one bite at a time. :-D
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

United States of America
BenTen
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3697 Mariner - "We'll Sea"

Postby BenTen » October 15th, 2019, 9:27 am

LOOKS GREAT!

-Currently searching for a Santego 3867 Dual Cabin :-D :-D :-D
Thanks,
Ben in SC

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 15th, 2019, 10:03 am

I don't think I have the space to fit the lights ....panel just not spaced enough..You did a great job on yours.....So the elephant is safe for now.. :-D
Last edited by bud37 on October 15th, 2019, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » October 15th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Nice work Ron! :down: :worthy:

I'm surprised at how much brighter your neons are as compared to your LED's. Mine are much more subtle (at least the ones that remain anyway).

Are you satisfied with the result?

What was the cost overall?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » October 15th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Matt, I’m happy with it. While the neons are rated a 1/3 watt like the LEDs, I think the lens type is what make the difference. I order diamond lens which refract the light while the neons like the originals where translucent. On my other Santego when I replaced them I used what Carver originally used, and the 1 watt incandescent lamps made the neons look dim.

All together it cost me just shy of $135 usd and Lake-view was excellent to work with. They actually called me to tell me they had found a cheaper shipping option than what I had selected on their website and called to ask if it would be ok to save me some money on the shipping. :-O Needless to say I readily accepted, and was definitely impressed by the customer service skills.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

Return to “Electrical”