Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Inverter cabling question

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Inverter cabling question

Postby Helmsman » April 30th, 2020, 7:36 am

Smoken wrote:Source of the post We have a new to us, 2000 Carver Voyager 53. We have not been able to figure out how to use the invertor. We have turned on the breaker and the inverter button on the Link 1000. It is not coming on. What are we missing?

Who makes the inverter? Is there a remote switch? It may be located near the AC panel. Some inverters have a switch on either the remote panel or the inverter itself which will switch it from AC pass through mode to invert mode. Is the battery switch between the inverter and the battery on? Could be a number of things. I would get the manual for the specific inverter and read through the instructions first.

United States of America
Smoken
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 53 Carver Voyager

Postby Smoken » April 30th, 2020, 10:47 am

Thank you. The previous owner doesn’t have a manual and the on line version is the newer model and doesn’t look or work the same. We appreciate your suggestions. We will check them out. Thank you again for your help.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 30th, 2020, 11:27 am

If you still can't get it running after checking the above suggestions, there will be a fuse on the main positive battery cable from the battery to the inverter. Check to see if it's blown.

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 30th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Smoken wrote:Source of the post Thank you. The previous owner doesn’t have a manual and the on line version is the newer model and doesn’t look or work the same. We appreciate your suggestions. We will check them out. Thank you again for your help.

Someone who reads these posts may have the same inverter you do. So, you may want to post the model and approximate year, if you can. That may allow some others to help.

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 30th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post If you still can't get it running after checking the above suggestions, there will be a fuse on the main positive battery cable from the battery to the inverter. Check to see if it's blown.

Here is a picture of the fuse and switch I have that Viper mentioned checking. If you can’t see it, look at the picture on page 4 of this post.

download/file.php?id=3365

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 30th, 2020, 1:47 pm

I believe Smoken may have a factory installed inverter original to the boat. Maybe......

Smoken wrote:Source of the post Thank you. The previous owner doesn’t have a manual and the on line version is the newer model and doesn’t look or work the same. We appreciate your suggestions. We will check them out. Thank you again for your help.

Where did you see the manual ? There are operators manuals on the carver yacht site.....a 99 53 pilothouse and a 2000 53 voyager. Were these the ones you are speaking of.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Smoken
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 53 Carver Voyager

Postby Smoken » April 30th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Thank you all... it is a Freedom Marine 25 , we think it is original to the boat that is a 2000. We have the original carver manual but it has very little on the inverter. Just says to turn it on... we will check the fuse on the switch in the engine room.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 1st, 2020, 8:18 am

Smoken wrote:Source of the post Thank you all... it is a Freedom Marine 25 , we think it is original to the boat that is a 2000. We have the original carver manual but it has very little on the inverter. Just says to turn it on... we will check the fuse on the switch in the engine room.

I agree, there is not much explanation in the manual.....there is a rudimentary wiring schematic. Check the wiring behind the panel where the breaker is for power, sometimes the terminals get separated.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 1st, 2020, 9:44 am

Do you have a Link display and an inverter remote or just the Link? I'm pretty sure the Link is just to monitor battery status so it may have nothing to do with operating/controlling your inverter/charger but I don't know the model Link you have. Is the Link lighting up at all?

There was also an optional inverter remote control panel. There are controls and status indicators on the unit itself. If you have a separate inverter remote, is it lighting up at all? On the chance that there is an issue with the remote or its cable and plugs, you can try unplugging the remote at the inverter/charger and see if the inverter lights up. It should just be a phone type plug on the front of the unit. Try the controls on the inverter (Invert, charge) and see if anything happens. I think you have to push and hold for a few seconds to engage the function if I recall but don't quote me on that. It should say in the manual.
Here is the manual for the Freedom Marine 25. There is a troubleshooting section at the end.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/FreedomMarineOwnersManual.pdf

Here is a link to a YouTube video on the inverter remote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWOdaPN1Czk

You didn't mention the model of the Link control but here is a Google search for a Link manual:

https://www.google.com/search?q=xantrex+Link+manual&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirk_yq5ZLpAhW2AZ0JHaobAbkQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1229&bih=608

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 1st, 2020, 10:13 am

Ooops, just remembered your post about the Link 1000. Here is the manual for the 1000 which does control the inverter. It might reveal a step you're missing

https://usermanual.wiki/Xantrex/XantrexLink1000UsersManual473688.289025911/view

If it's not lighting up at all, follow my recommendation above to disconnect it and turn the inverter on at its own panel. BTW, it looks like there should be 3 in-line fuses in the Link 1000 wiring so you may want to check those too.

Return to “Electrical”