Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Electrical leak from refrigerator

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Electrical leak from refrigerator

Postby Helmsman » February 29th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Last summer, I was getting a prop changed via a diver. I cut the shore power off. He noticed a slight electrical current coming off the rudder. I have my outlets running through a Promariner ps2000 inverter charger. The inverter was on, though the only thing running was the fridge. I realized I hadn’t cut the inverter off. Once I cut it off, the current stopped.

I have been concerned about the leak, since reading on here and elsewhere about the danger of Electric Shock Drowning (ESD). I called the guy who helped install the inverter, and he was no help. I called ProMariner and they sent me a 12 step diagnostic routine, which revealed nothing. Last October, I had the boat pulled at a local marina to look at a couple of areas. While there, I had their electrician look at the wiring to see if he could find anything. He put a jumper between the ground and Neutral buss bar and pronounced it fixed.

When I returned to my dock, his wire caused my breaker on the panel at the house to flip. I removed his wire, and the breaker worked. ABYC certified electricians are few and far between in these parts, so I figured I would have to figure it out. It didn’t flip the breaker at the marina. They probably use the new ELCI breakers there.

So, I read Nigel Calder’s book (the 6 or 7 chapters on electrical about 6 times!), and read everything on this site that was remotely related, and worked my way through the boat looking for issues. The bonding system looked good. The connection between the bonding system, the DC negative, and the AC ground was proper, and I found no wires in either panel loose, crossed, burnt, etc.

The next step was to look at the wiring in the panel for the inverter. The inbound wire from the inverter was properly wired, the neutrals were on a separate buss bar, and the line in (power) for the circuits was segregated for those circuits on their own bar. I noticed that when I checked for continuity between the inverter neutral bar and the ground bar, I got continuity. That made sense, since the inverter is a power source and the neutral and ground are tied together only at the source (just like the generator and the shore power connections).

The next step was to pull the neutrals off and check for continuity between each one and the ground bar. The inbound inverter line showed continuity. Three of the circuits had no continuity. The refrigerator, however showed continuity. That indicated an issue with the power supply to the fridge. I pulled the fridge, pulled the plug from the outlet, and checked for continuity. There was no continuity. So, it wasn’t the circuits. It was definitely the fridge. I have a 2006 Nova Kool rfu9000. It has a power converter (converts AC to DC) that is no longer distributed. That was the culprit.

In a discussion with Nova Kool, they told me there should not be continuity, but since they no longer carry the power converter, they couldn’t help. A little research on line showed that Danfoss has the DC control unit I was using.

One option was simply to pull the power unit, and run the fridge directly off the DC feed. That wouldn’t work for me, as the inverter purchase was due in part to spread the power usage amongst two battery banks.

The second option was to replace the 101N0210 DC only control unit, with an 101N0510 AC/DC control unit. Doing that eliminates the need for a separate power converter. So $266 later, we have a fridge that is working with both AC and DC. And there is no longer an issue with continuity between the neutral and ground, nor is there a small electrical leak coming from the boat.

Thought I would post this here, due the fact that the Danfoss 35 and 50 compressors with those old power converters and control units are ubiquitous in the boating world, and are easily updated with the control unit only option. Someone else may benefit from this since everything I read is that the Danfoss 35 and 50 are almost indestructible and can continue service.

Page 5 shows the different control units.

http://www.novakool.com/support/documen ... pdated.pdf

E991F638-E032-4FA6-A0A6-730014C70851.jpeg

Unfortunately, the picture is upside down for some reason on this post. The power converter is the silver box on the left. The 101N0210 control unit is between the converter and the compressor. The new AC DC 101N0510 control unit fits where the 0210 unit is in this picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Helmsman on March 1st, 2020, 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Electrical leak from refrigerator

Postby Midnightsun » March 1st, 2020, 2:45 am

Excellent info, thanks for posting. :beergood:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 1st, 2020, 9:36 am

:down: Good job :down:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 1st, 2020, 10:20 am

Great post, a perfect example of how tricky it is to troubleshoot marine electrical, it is just not the same as the house.....Good catch , man.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » March 5th, 2020, 3:24 pm

You can replace the AC/DC power supply with a MEAN WELL 12 amp power supply for $20 (MEAN WELL LRS-150-12) and use an automotive relay ($5 - $8) to switch power to the fridge between AC power or DC from batteries depending on what's present. This is a bigger power supply than we need (fridge draws 4.5 amps or so) but it won't work as hard. The boxes on the back of the refrigerator are way over complicated...

Return to “Electrical”