Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Accessing Galvanic Isolators

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
jfwatson3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 396

Accessing Galvanic Isolators

Postby jfwatson3 » April 7th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Hello,

I have a 2000 Carver 396, and need to replace the galvanic isolators. They are not located in the A/C panel, but rather in the integrated swim platform just behind the shore power cabinet in the staircase in the swim platform. There is no access via the shore power cabinet, so access must be available through the aft cabin transom wall. I am not sure if the access is provided by removing the aft cabin paneling, or by removing the aft cabin bedside cabinet...neither looks obviously, and I was hoping for some insights before pulling things out. Thank you.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Accessing Galvanic Isolators

Postby Viper » April 7th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Welcome aboard jf. You have two threads going which might make this complicated. I posted the following in your other thread as well...
What leads you to believe your galvanic isolator needs to be replaced?

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 396

Re: Accessing Galvanic Isolators

Postby DanM » April 8th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Hi Jim,

As you point out, the aft cabinet needs to be removed and that is done by a series of wood screws. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to where they were placed. If I remember correctly a few were across the back behind the back of the shelf edge some to the left and a couple into the floor at the front of the cabinet. a couple were on an angle directly behind the 3/4" x 3/4" butt joint that holds the front and the side of the cabinet together. It's on an angle and countersunk so you have to look/feel for it. You won't see them looking straight into the cabinet. There was no lip or edge as you mentioned but it is siliconed along the left and rear cabinet top to prevent squeaking and scratching.

One out it would be a good idea to snug up the engine and generator T-bolt hose clamps which can't be gotten to any other way.

I be curious as to what you find out on the Isolators and how you tested them.

Good luck!
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

Return to “Electrical”