Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Ice Maker Outlet

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

Ice Maker Outlet

Postby 650Guy » May 27th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Hey All

So my 03 396's Ice Maker on the bridge stopped working.

Ice Maker checks good - Runs fine on another outlet

Breaker was just replaced

Still seems to have no power to the outlet.

does anyone know if there is a GFI that protects that outlet? Every other outlet on the boat seems to be operational. This one WAS working at the onset of the season, now, not so much. About to replace the outlet itself just to rule that out.

Thought this was going to be an easy one... HA, I'm so silly!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Ice Maker Outlet

Postby tomschauer » May 27th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Not sure about your 396, but my icemaker receptacle if fed from a gfi behind the tv in the aft cabin.

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » May 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Dang... was excited for a minute but not there.

I have traced the line down across the bridge to the port side and then along the wall. Once it drops to the wall I lose it. I cannot find any GFIs along the port side.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » May 27th, 2020, 2:04 pm

650Guy, I had a very similar problem with my ice maker in my 44 CMY ( same boat). I went so far as to put a new plug in. Wasn't the issue. Check all you GFI's for sure. Does the GFI plug in the flybridge, beside the ice maker work. Mine did but the receptacle for the ice maker did not.

After all of that I was able to figure out the problem. Check under the seat on the port side of the helm seat where the storage is. In my boat there were two large black plugs on the aft side of the storage compartment. They are there in the event you want to remove the fly bridge for transport so you can plug it back in.

I guess I had put stuff in the storage compartment and knocked one of the plugs and the connection was lost. If you have these plugs in the storage compartment, make sure the connection is good. One of the plugs gos to the GFI and the other goes to the plug for the ice maker.

Have a look and let me know. If the boats are really the same this may be your issue.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » May 27th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Greg.... YOU ARE A GOD!! BINGO!!! that is exactly the issue! I unplugged it, plugged it back in and as emerald says "BAMM!" I got power. I can tell the connection is poor though as the slightest movement and I lose power again.

I wonder if I can replace that plug? I'll have to do some digging.

LOVE you guys! this saved me unimaginable number of hours of digging! Now about 1 hour of putting things back together! LOL!

Thank You!!!

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » May 27th, 2020, 2:47 pm

650Guy, I spoke to a buddy of mine who is an electrician. He advised me to remove the plugs and just use a covered hex box. You can join the wires with twist connectors or you can use a crimp connector. Both connections can be done in the same box. Just make sure your connects are tight and you cover the box.

I had a feeling you were dealing with the same issue I had. I suffered for days over that and found it by mistake, because you can't see it unless you're looking for it. I almost abandoned the wire and ran a new one.

Never want a man to suffer with no ice for the beer cooler. :drunk:

Greg

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » May 27th, 2020, 2:55 pm

That sounds like a great plan!! I'm assuming the only reason for these plug style connections is to remove the flybridge in the event of transporting it over the road. I pray I never need/want to do THAT!! LOL!!

Man... I'm going to be 100% honest, I'm not sure I would have found those. I would have been searching for a VERY long time before I found them.

My beer and vodka thank you good sir! :worthy: :drunk:

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » May 30th, 2020, 8:03 am

Thought I'd close out this string in case someone else has the same issue down the line. Turns out all I had to do is slide back the black rubber casing on the plug. From there it exposed the actual hard plug and securely connect the plug there. When I was trying to connect with the black casing over it, I don't believe I was getting a Snug connection giving me more issues. I have had it re-connected and running since and have had no issues.

Two BIG thumbs up to Greg for sharing!! this one would have been hard for me to track down solo!!

For some reason the picture posted upside-down. So sorry about that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 30th, 2020, 8:25 am

Do we have a good crew here or what?! :down:

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate