Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Westerbeke Genset

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Westerbeke Genset

Postby tonyiiiafl » June 22nd, 2020, 10:01 am

I have drawn the line in the sand as to what I will spend. To get my 6.5CZ Kohler back to reliability. Has anyone switched. Out to a Westerbeke? I have a 390CMY vintage 1994, and wish to keep in same place. Between the engines. I understand they are pretty quiet versus the dinosaur I have? Any idea on pricing? Also, the 6.5 does what I need, but any advantage to going bigger. Don’t want to break thee bank, but need to start planning now Thanks in advance.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Westerbeke Genset

Postby bud37 » June 22nd, 2020, 10:50 am

I seem to remember a thread a while back that had some discussion about changing out a genny.....there is a guy Keith that is a generator repair guy that commented on some different brands.....insightful.

If you do replace yours with new , IMO, try to get a low RPM one...1800 as compared to the 3600 rpm . That may limit you somewhat......maybe Westerbeke is the only one still making the lower rpm models. Pretty pricey though.

What rpm is your Kohler 6.5 cz and does it have the sound shield ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » June 22nd, 2020, 11:05 am

My Kohler has a Honda GX360 engine, 3600RPM. Even with the sound shield it is a tad noisy. I liked the 1800 3 cylinder Westerbeke. I guess they are around $10,000.00. However, I hope I an salvage mine for the summer, and get a sight deal at the Boat Show this February.

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Postby KeithS » June 23rd, 2020, 10:22 pm

Kohler is out of the gas marine generator business for a while now. Westerbeke is the only one making them now. The current choice for you would be the the 5 or 7.5MCGA. They are 1800 rpm units with multi-port fuel injection. They are strong and pretty quiet. Closer to $12K now that there is no competition.
The Kohler units with the Honda engine are getting pretty old now. Parts are getting tougher to get with some parts no longer available.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » June 27th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Well, today I spent my time in the bilge. I replaced the starboard alternator, only to find out it was a broken wire. OK, I now have a spare. As for the Genset........I got the new governor spring, and replaced it, still a light surge. So i tightened up the slack spring by taking a couple turns around on it Now only a surge for the first 2 minutes of running until it gets warmer up. Checked the impeller and it was new as stated. Ran water back from the heat exchanger to the raw water pump, no restrictions so I believe it is clear. Removed the control box, and replaced the capacitor. I still hadn’t gotten the 25uf’s yet, so replaced with the spare 20 I had. Lastly I recrimped the connections to the temp sensors. Then I poked around. I believe the water temp sensor is bad. It wiggles in the crimped brass threaded part, one is on order. Then I checked the coolant in the heat exchanger(new winter 2018)/, sw it was low! So topped it off, didn’t take much, but nonetheless, i is now full. Fired it up and after 90 seconded she purred well, placed a load on it and no surge, just hunkered down to business. Ran it for 45 minutes, no issues. Cured? WHO KNOWS! But it isn’t shutting off on its own anymore!

Return to “Electrical”