Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler 6.5

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Kohler 6.5

Postby tonyiiiafl » June 28th, 2020, 9:42 am

As many of you have known, I have had some recent issues with my 6.5 Honda powered Kohler genset. I believe it to be a 6.5CZ (per the build sheet) The ID plate is missing, so it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have pretty much seem to have it running and not shutting off. However, need one help on the following:

The coolant will expand into the recovery tank, but not siphon back in. Tube is connected to the bottom of recovery tank and no leaks. ((Pressure cap was new with heat exchanger 2 years ago, Pressure Cap?))

I have attached photos of what I believe to be the high temp cut off switch and the choke switch. Both are located below the thermostat housing.

I believe this sensor to be defective, s it spins in the crimped brass boss. I cant find a description anywhere in any manual. ANy ideas of what it is and a part number?

Very helpful group here and I am thankful for all of your input!

9D41FFEE-45E4-45F5-81D1-C371698ECA10.jpeg
9F622B6F-F5B4-42A1-A08A-98A13AE7B232.jpeg
A384D6AD-2D97-49EF-9379-423AF79045ED.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Re: Kohler 6.5

Postby SplashyLady » June 28th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Do you have the right cap? This should be a relatively low pressure cap - like 12-14 PSI - no more. If you are running a 160 degree themostat, you could drop it to 10-12 without a problem. I know maybe this seems obvious, but did you check the bottom of the recovery tank to make sure there is nothing down there and the hose is clear of debris? The coolant goes into the recovery tank under pressure, but there is very little suction to take it back.

Good luck!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » June 28th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Cap is what came with the heat exchanger, 13#. I will check hose again.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 28th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Chances are , if the coolant is not being pulled back to the engine then there is likely an air leak somewhere. Check the recovery hose and connectors.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”