Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

V drive alarm

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Haycookyy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver Montego

V drive alarm

Postby Haycookyy » July 7th, 2020, 9:23 pm

I have a 1988 Carver Montego 3257. Can anyone tell
Me if my boat comes equipped with a low Fluid alarm or a low fluid light that comes in when my v drives are low on transmission fluid?

Thank you!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: V drive alarm

Postby Viper » July 7th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Welcome aboard.

There are some models that do have warning systems but usually higher end product. Are they integrated V-drives on the engine or separate from the engine with a shaft and u-joints between the engine and v-drive such as a Walter v-drive? Older Walter V-drives (separate from engine) had lamps at the helm that stayed lit until pressure built up after a certain rpm was reached. If the lamps didn't go out after achieving that rpm, the first thing to check was fluid level.

Canada
Kolbrit
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Kolbrit » July 7th, 2020, 10:54 pm

Sorry don’t want to high jack thread, but my question is on topic.
I also have late model Carver 1984, about 4 yrs ago we had hit and miss alarm buzzers go off when turning ignition on to start engines. They sounded quite sickly, so I was going to try and locate them to replace.
Well they died before I could find them, and to be damned if I can find there whereabouts 4 yrs later. We do have the V Drive lights on dash that work fine.
To answer your question Haycookyy, on mine I have sensor on thermostat housing, another on trans and on V Drive. All wired inline with a orange wire on both Crusader 350 engines. Once this orange wire hits the main harness it disappears through hidden areas of interior.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 8th, 2020, 6:47 am

Kolbrit wrote:Source of the post......hit and miss alarm buzzers go off when turning ignition on to start engines.....I was going to try and locate them to replace......damned if I can find there whereabouts....
Usually they'll be zip-tied right to the main engine wiring harness under the helm or fastened to a surface somewhere under there. You can replace them with any 12 volt buzzer/beeper. Some engine buzzer/alarm systems will have a delay circuit that prevents the alarm from sounding for a few seconds while you start the engine so you don't get the initial nuisance alarm at startup.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » July 8th, 2020, 4:44 pm

The V-drive has a warning light on the console that will light up for low oil, and may be on for normal level below 1200 RPM. If it does not go off above 1200 RPM, it indicates low oil in the V-drive.

As Viper said regarding the buzzers, they are usually under the helm and often not really mounted to anything. Most times they are for oil pressure and temperature. You can find them by turning the ignition key to "on" without starting the engine - wait 10 seconds or so, and the buzzer should sound. If it does not work, try the other engine - one will usually work and they are normally wired the same. If you find one, you know where the other one will be.

Good luck!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Return to “Electrical”