Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Trumpet horns stopped working today

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Trumpet horns stopped working today

Postby Helmsman » October 10th, 2020, 10:36 pm

You mentioned fog. Mine went bad after I washed the boat one day. I had read that spraying a little WD40 would cause the horn to blow. It did. The horn failed the next time it rained. I replaced the horn and it works fine now. They are evidently more sensitive to water as they age.

Cliffm wrote:Source of the post So.... Plot thickens! Pulled under dash panel to access backside of horn mount wiring, looked good, so I removed dash panel to access horn rocker switch which turned out to be a relay switch. so I tried it and horn blew?

So, the $100 question. Is my "old" Marcinco AFI trumpet horns being temperamental/going bad... or is the horn "relay" rocker switch going bad when used "allott"?

Any EE's having insight to my dilemma?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 11th, 2020, 8:04 am

One thing is for sure, it is satisfying taking care of your hooters......... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 11th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post You mentioned fog. Mine went bad after I washed the boat one day. I had read that spraying a little WD40 would cause the horn to blow. It did. The horn failed the next time it rained. I replaced the horn and it works fine now. They are evidently more sensitive to water as they age.

Thanks, thinking that after finding our helm stereo speakers having severely deteriorated cones, and replacing them this weekend.

Cliffm wrote:Source of the post So.... Plot thickens! Pulled under dash panel to access backside of horn mount wiring, looked good, so I removed dash panel to access horn rocker switch which turned out to be a relay switch. so I tried it and horn blew?

So, the $100 question. Is my "old" Marcinco AFI trumpet horns being temperamental/going bad... or is the horn "relay" rocker switch going bad when used "allott"?

Any EE's having insight to my dilemma?

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » August 4th, 2021, 4:31 pm

They died!
went to WestMarine, bought the Marinko 12V 123db pair, swapped out, sounds great!
appear to be the same make as previous OEM installed units, hoping they last as long.

Return to “Electrical”