Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Trumpet horns stopped working today

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Trumpet horns stopped working today

Postby Cliffm » October 7th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Today, having to deal with some very dense fog, the captain and I used our 2006 Carver 36MY horns more times, then all of the past year.

The third sounding, failed to make any noise. We were short on time returning our guests back home, so we'll have to revisit an evaluate. First, verify we have power to the switch, then power to the horns, then...?I

Anyone have their horns fail like this? I'm assuming 14yrs is a good run, so what is the best value/performance for another 14yrs?

Suggestions appreciated

Cliff & Beth Mathison
The Condo
Renton Wa

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Trumpet horns stopped working today

Postby buster53 » October 7th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Are they electric or air horns? My air horns didn't work when I bought my boat and I had to replace the air compressor...horns were fine.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 7th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Sorry i didn't clarify, they are the OEM 12v electric units.

I don't know what the OEM brand is?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » October 7th, 2020, 11:13 pm

Ok, let's be sure...both need 12v to operate. I guess electric are like car horns...no air compressor needed.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 8th, 2020, 6:29 am

You should have a breaker which is the first thing to check. Most horns can be disassembled and cleaned/fixed however I question if it is worth it. A new set of horns can be found on Amazon for $100 or less. If you want the ultimate then see here. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5278&hilit=kahlenberg
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 8th, 2020, 10:22 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post You should have a breaker which is the first thing to check. Most horns can be disassembled and cleaned/fixed however I question if it is worth it. A new set of horns can be found on Amazon for $100 or less. If you want the ultimate then see here. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5278&hilit=kahlenberg

We checked the breaker, flipped it off/on several times, re-trying horns, no luck.

Going to the boat today to verify power at switch, then power at horn connection. But if I have to remove to service, then replacement is high in the list.

Looking for a good 12v replacement suggestions, that last more than a year or two, since the oem seemed to last 14yrs.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » October 8th, 2020, 11:18 am

If you want to be heard, get air horns

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 8th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Definitely look for connections along the way too, especially just behind wherever the horns are mounted. If the crimps are bad or they have some bullet connectors, it's possible the high current draw while they were being used caused those connections to fail.

That's another reason to have a hailer on the boat. Most can operate as horns too, so they're a backup. Plus, most have an auto-fog-horn setting which will blast the hailer every minute, taking a task away from the Captain. Some VHF radios also have this function if they have a hailer option (like the old Raymarine 202)

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 8th, 2020, 8:43 pm

So.... Plot thickens! Pulled under dash panel to access backside of horn mount wiring, looked good, so I removed dash panel to access horn rocker switch which turned out to be a relay switch. so I tried it and horn blew?

So, the $100 question. Is my "old" Marcinco AFI trumpet horns being temperamental/going bad... or is the horn "relay" rocker switch going bad when used "allott"?

Any EE's having insight to my dilemma?

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 8th, 2020, 8:46 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Definitely look for connections along the way too, especially just behind wherever the horns are mounted. If the crimps are bad or they have some bullet connectors, it's possible the high current draw while they were being used caused those connections to fail.

That's another reason to have a hailer on the boat. Most can operate as horns too, so they're a backup. Plus, most have an auto-fog-horn setting which will blast the hailer every minute, taking a task away from the Captain. Some VHF radios also have this function if they have a hailer option (like the old Raymarine 202)

Thanks, we did/do have a back-up hailer, (2) compressed gas units and a Fox40 whistle.

Return to “Electrical”