Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

120VAC outlets in the engine room

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

120VAC outlets in the engine room

Postby km1125 » October 26th, 2020, 10:40 am

On a different thread, there was some discussion about whether or not 120VAC outlets could be mounted in an engine room.

I wanted to follow up on that, because my last boat had one (that was installed post-manufacturer) and I was just on a boat this past weekend (2015 470 Sea Ray) which also had one that was obviously manufacturer-installed.

I'm wondering what the exact language is? I have an older copy of the ABYC rules and don't see anything in there. I would expect it to be covered in section E-8.15, but the only thing I see there is about putting them in areas subject to "rain, spray or flooding" and if you need to do that it has to have a spring-loaded self-closing cover.

Is there more language in later versions of the ABYC standards?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 120VAC outlets in the engine room

Postby Midnightsun » October 26th, 2020, 10:44 am

My understanding is it is a sparking/explosion hazard therefor not allowed. Anything in the bilge needs to be spark proof especially on gasoline powered boats.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 26th, 2020, 11:06 am

I can't speak to the regs here. Was the Ray you were in, a diesel ?

Sometimes with this sort of thing with regs there gets to be some assumptions that go round until they are quoted as fact, much like the double clamping rule. NOT saying this is the case at all, so stand down... :-D

That reg book is hard to read at best and is open to opinion and some interpretation ....IMO.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » October 26th, 2020, 11:37 am

47 ft searay thats got to be a diesel boat
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 26th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Yes the Sea Ray was definitely diesel.

I wouldn't consider the outlet a "sparking/explosion hazard" any more than the cables to the batteries, which could also spark if something is removed or reconnected. For permanently installed devices like a battery charger or space heater I could see why you'd want to discourage using an outlet and prefer a direct wire, but not sure why just the presence of an outlet (for convenience use) would be discouraged.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 26th, 2020, 7:19 pm

A regular plug in an outlet is not a secure connection especially while underway, movement of the plug can cause arcing. Not as much of a problem on diesels if that happens, many diesel applications have outlets in the engine bay, but definitely a problem in a gasoline application if explosive fumes are present. Having said that, I don't like outlets in any engine bay.

When someone that's aware of the dangers connects or disconnects batteries, they expect there may be a spark and so ensure that all loads are off and no fumes are present prior to touching the wiring. The average Joe wouldn't think twice of plugging something into an outlet without any forethought. It also makes it too easy to overload the circuit. I've seen a charger, hot water heater, and a trouble light hanging in the engine bay, all plugged into the same outlet on a 15A breaker. You know if there's a way, people will abuse the convenience. Oh and there's lots of room down there so let's store the outboard and portable fuel tank there while we're at it. :-O

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Postby KeithS » October 28th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Electrical outlets are allowed in machinery spaces, but if in a gasoline powered vessel they must be GFI outlets. Since no one makes an ignition protected GFI outlet, you won't find an outlet in a gas boat.
This is covered by ABYB 11.13.3.5

km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 29th, 2020, 5:48 pm

KeithS wrote:Source of the post Electrical outlets are allowed in machinery spaces, but if in a gasoline powered vessel they must be GFI outlets. Since no one makes an ignition protected GFI outlet, you won't find an outlet in a gas boat.
This is covered by ABYB 11.13.3.5

To satisfy that requirement, they could always be fed from the load side of another outlet that is a GFCI.

Poking around a bit, it seems like there is a requirement for at least a 6 lb pull test to satisfy a condition for an engine room outlet, but I see no outright ban on them in the specs.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 29th, 2020, 10:33 pm

The way I see this, there is no way to plug anything into any electrical outlet without there being a very high possibility of a spark...however small, and that to me is why there should be no outlets in a gas boat machinery space. Gfci will not stop sparking, it is a ground fault safety device. Just too easy to make a mistake, even a phone charger can create a spark.

Just not worth the chance.......IMO.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”