Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler generator

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
wsteelenyc
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 CARVER 350 ACMY Aft Cabin

Re: Kohler generator

Postby wsteelenyc » September 30th, 2022, 11:13 am

Anyone have any thoughts in why this worked with my Kohler generator? I'm assuming it had a similar result as flashing the field, but not sure.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » September 30th, 2022, 11:26 am

Never seen that before, but I will say that corrosion on connections does some really weird things! Whenever I see something unusual in my electrical system, unless it is something obvious, my first go-to is to look for corroded connections. I have found ones that looked like they were okay end up being the culprit! I would definitely want to figure that one out though! :-O I generally take the KISS approach until proven otherwise. :-D
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 30th, 2022, 12:05 pm

Yep, same as flashing the field, but it's using the loads as a temporary source.

This is the same reason most (if not all) generators have a capacitor. The capacitor stores a bit of energy and feeds it back to the generator for it to develop that magnetic field. If the capacitor is bad, then you can feed any energy into the generator to get it to develop one. That's why some folks will use an old drill motor and spin it while plugged into the generator... the drill motor is acting as a micro generator and gives just enough voltage so that the big generator will develop a magnetic field.

That guy likely has a capacitor that's failed or failing.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 1st, 2022, 1:02 am

Yep, the capacitor has failed.

Return to “Electrical”