Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler generator

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
jisster1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Santego640

Kohler generator

Postby jisster1 » January 8th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Does anybody know where I can get help with my Kohler 6.5cz generator. I've tried to reflash it and tried 2 new capacitors and I still don't get any voltage from it.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Kohler generator

Postby tomschauer » January 8th, 2021, 10:13 pm

I assume it runs and just doesn't provide power?
If so, did you check for 120v at the generator itself? You may have an issue with your autochanger over relays.

jisster1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jisster1 » January 10th, 2021, 2:25 pm

There is only 8 volts being put out by the generator.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 10th, 2021, 2:42 pm

jisster1 wrote:Source of the post There is only 8 volts being put out by the generator.

I believe there has been a few posts like this before....have a look back. What do you mean when you say you reflashed it ......

Have you checked the Rpm of the engine/generator yet.....does it meet the spec....if 3600rpm genny then unloaded around 3700 rpm.

There used to be a guy that was a Kohler repair tech on here, I was hoping he would chime in.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Postby KeithS » January 11th, 2021, 10:47 am

You have already done the 2 easy things, flashing the field and replacing the capacitor. If you are getting 8 volts, that tells me the stator is probably OK. Something is not working in the excitation circuit. Just for fun grab the throttle linkage and race the engine up a bit to see if it begins to output. If not, that leaves the rotating diode board on the end of the rotor as the likely culprit. Looking through the slots at the back end of the stator you can kinda of visually inspect it for obvious faults. Early versions had a big blue capacitor which would fly right off after a while. The only way to really check it is to remove the stator. Back end parts are still available for that rather old unit, engine parts are getting harder to get.

jisster1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jisster1 » January 11th, 2021, 11:18 am

Yes when I rev the motor up I can get 120 to 150 volts out of it. But only 8 at it's design running RPM's

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby KeithS » January 11th, 2021, 11:47 am

Odd, if it is running at the correct speed no load, minimum 3650 or 63 HZ, then I would still suspect the capacitor even though you changed it already. Try a 25mfd instead of the 20 and see if that helps. I personally like a 22mfd which I get at Graingers and it seems to keep the voltage in the 120-125vac range.

jisster1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jisster1 » January 11th, 2021, 3:02 pm

I've tried 2 new capacitors. Why would I get voltage out of it at a high idle and not at the 3650rpm's

jisster1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jisster1 » January 11th, 2021, 3:03 pm

If I am getting voltage when I rev the motor does that mean everything is working right except the capacitor?

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby KeithS » January 11th, 2021, 7:00 pm

There is still the possibility of an issue with the rotor or stator but unlikely. Briefly, that unit uses a set of windings in the stator to build up a charge in the capacitor. That voltage is then induced into the rotor and through a rotating diode board to provide DC voltage for the excitation. The capacitor is the weak link and fails usually first. The capacitor is not a Kohler exclusive part, Kohler uses a GE one, but different brands work fine. Make sure you are running at the correct minimum speed.

Return to “Electrical”