Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

galley light replacement 14V to 12V

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
BoatGirl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver Mariner 420

galley light replacement 14V to 12V

Postby BoatGirl » January 24th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Any wiring or V concerns with replacement of old 14V recessed light by a new 12V recessed light?
thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: galley light replacement 14V to 12V

Postby tomschauer » January 24th, 2021, 6:19 pm

No issue. I am surprised your old light was marked as 14 volt not 12 volt actually.

Topic author United States of America
BoatGirl
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver Mariner 420

Postby BoatGirl » January 24th, 2021, 6:37 pm

I started the engines and upon return to the galley it had fallen out. When I tried to push back into place it crumbled. I have a feeling it was replaced at some point. Thank you for the reply!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 24th, 2021, 8:23 pm

No problem doing that. I can understand the 14V rating but most automotive and marine DC equipment usually has a tolerance of a few volts +/-There's an abundance of choices out there for replacements. Do a search on Amazon for that type of lighting. All you really need to know is the size of the mounting hole that you need to look for. I'd also consider replacing them all with LED versions, way less power consumption and very little heat compared to what you likely have now.

There's been a few threads in the past where some of the guys have posted links to replacement units. Hopefully someone will chime in with a suggestion. A pic of the top of the unit would help. There may also be a manufacturer's label on the back or stamped on it. You could also contact Carver with your hull number and they can provide you with the supplier info and part number.

Return to “Electrical”