Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine Synchronizer Gauge

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
Raylap819
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807; twin GM 454s

Engine Synchronizer Gauge

Postby Raylap819 » January 25th, 2021, 5:35 pm

I have a 1989 3807 that has a broken glass on the Engine Synchro Gauge. Can I have the glass replaced or do I have to purchase a new gauge? It was broken when I purchased boat.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Engine Synchronizer Gauge

Postby g36 » January 25th, 2021, 9:45 pm

Most likely the guage will need to replaced
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » January 26th, 2021, 1:51 am

If I may ask in your topic: what does this gauge do?
I have two RPM gauges and one small gauge in the middle that looks like a rudder stand indicator but underneath it is connected to a separate 'disk like box' and (I think) the RPM counters.

So I guess that this is said synchroniser. Is it supposed to synchronise by itself? (doubt it, it has no connection to the throttle cables)
Or only show which engine is running a higher/lower RPM than the other? What is the point with that unless you also have a rudder indicator to know what is causing a deviation in course.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 26th, 2021, 9:55 am

Raylap819 wrote:Source of the post I have a 1989 3807 that has a broken glass on the Engine Synchro Gauge. Can I have the glass replaced or do I have to purchase a new gauge? It was broken when I purchased boat.

I guess by the time you find someone to repair the gauge it may cost way more than just a new instrument.....the replacement is fairly straightforward if you are handy.

Just need to check what is required with any gauge ( sending module or such ), maybe with yours it is just the gauge itself if you can get a direct replacement.

I believe Viper has the same boat, maybe he has the gauge you are referring to.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 26th, 2021, 10:39 am

Phrancus wrote:Source of the post
Or only show which engine is running a higher/lower RPM than the other? What is the point with that unless you also have a rudder indicator to know what is causing a deviation in course.

That's the correct function, just compares the two engine tachometers to display which one is reading higher. When the tachs are within a couple hundred RPM, it's hard to read them accurately enough, but the sync gauge will show which one is higher. On older engines without really good exhaust mufflers, it was easy to tell by the sound of the motors.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 26th, 2021, 11:15 am

Some builds had lenses integrated into the dash panel. If you have this and that's what's broken, I would call Carver with your hull number and see if they can provide you with supplier info and a part number. I haven't had to do anything with mine so I can't comment with certainty on this.

Are your gauges mounted over/on top of the panel or under it?

Topic author Canada
Raylap819
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Raylap819 » January 26th, 2021, 1:23 pm

Thanks you for the info; I will replace the gauge. It seems simple enough and can always use the gauge connections on the synchro gauge located on the lower helm as guide. Thanks again!

Topic author Canada
Raylap819
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Raylap819 » February 4th, 2021, 8:27 pm

Both gauges are mounted through the dashboard!

Return to “Electrical”