Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Solar Panels

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Solar Panels

Postby Viper » February 10th, 2021, 8:08 pm

Tireless wrote:Source of the post
Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post One thing to keep in mind, the hotter a panel gets the less it performs. A flexible panel directly on a roof cannot breath therefor suffers much more than if it were elevated to allow air flow underneath. They do need to dissipate heat to be most effective not to mention they will last a lot longer if not overheated.

This is an excellent point raised by Midnight sun and I should have mentioned it.

This is why I used the elevator bolts. My panels do not rest on the fibreglass, however, I will be putting a spacer in the centre, on the under side of my panels to ensure more air flow.

Greg

Ya air flow for cooling is definitely important but you also don't want that sitting directly on the fiberglass because if any sweating goes on or the space under the panels retains rain water you will likely end up with blistering of your gelcoat, pretty common under some things like bow cushions.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » February 10th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Panel canvas install in the Thousand Islands region is very popular. Most of them use small sewn in flaps with velcro to secure the panels in place. This will give you a good idea of whats out there. https://www.google.com/search?q=canvas+ ... =945&dpr=2

Ya the Velcro installs is what I'm most used to seeing.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » February 10th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » February 11th, 2021, 5:59 am

Using flex panels. We are using earth magnets to hold them onto the canvas. No holes, no seams. These magnets are great to hold them even in a major storm. Then, pop them off in the fall, then put away the panels. As you can see, there are many different ways to do this. Just keep them clean and verify them once in a while. We never cover them. Love the freedom this has given us.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » February 11th, 2021, 10:15 am

Thanks, I am leaning towards the rigid panels with elevator bolt installation. I can get 2 panels and have an output of 390 watts, versus 2 panels of flexible at 200 watts. I am hoping to have room for 3 panels, which seems plausible, and 580 total watts. The controller will handle it the rep said. I would have some room left to get on. The hard top if needed. Mounting them an inch or so above the hardtop will allow cooling. Also, it will shield the top from the suns rays and slow down the chalking of the fiberglass that I have to compound out every year. More soon!

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » February 19th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Tireless wrote:Source of the post A friend of mine used the rigid panels on his aft hardtop. He used the elevator bolts to fasten them to the fibre glass under the brackets.

I had to go with the soft panels as I didn’t want the weight associated with the rigid panels on this top. My hardtop over the fly bridge is not load barring. The soft panels are excellent and work very well.

I also did not want to drill holes in the hardtop. The wires on top are not that attractive, but you can’t see them normally, unless you are on the top side of a lock.

I do not cover them and they remain on my hardtop all winter under my cover. If they get dirty from birds or other things, they wash off.

This is how I handled the installation and it may not fill the needs of others.

Greg

Greg, what brand did you use? I am not too concerned about 80 or so pounds on the aft hardtop, but am looking at either Renogy 400W/40Amp control;let or Rich Solar. Opinion? Rigid is a definite so I can allow air flow under them

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » February 21st, 2021, 11:09 pm

My panels are made by Sunpower. You can check out the panels and controller at Marine Solar Innovations here in Canada. This who I purchased mine through. The owner is very good to deal with.

My friend installed the rigid panels (2) on his aft deck hard top as he also had no weight restrictions. They were not 80 Lbs. A lot less than that, I helped him install and the elevator bolts worked to hold the brackets very well.

Greg

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » February 24th, 2021, 6:58 pm

I pulled the trigger today. I got this set for the aft hardtop of my 390CPMY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renogy-400W-Wa ... 2749.l2649

And these mounts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7PCS-Solar-Pan ... 2749.l2649

And these parallel Cable set:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renogy-One-Pai ... 2749.l2649

Total weight is 56LBS, so that should not be a problem as my former fat self at 275 has been on that roof plenty of times. I am happy with the mounts as there will be plenty of surface area to stick using butyl. Arriving March 4, I will install once boat is launched. In addition to the fuse, I am planning on putting a battery disconnect switch between the line from the panels to the controller so I can shut it off.

Wish me luck! I think I overthought the entire process!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 25th, 2021, 8:26 am

Keep us updated as you progress. Good luck.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » February 25th, 2021, 4:03 pm

What's your plan for routing the wires to the battery bank? I have yet to find a clean way to get them to the arch so I can get to the bilge. My hardtop isn't hollow, it has some wood in there. Found that out the hard way with another project I was working on.
Post up some pics of the install when you do it. I think a lot of people would be curious of the parts required and the install methods. We have some good real estate on the roof, might as well make use of it, and power is always appreciated.

Return to “Electrical”