Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Portable Genny on a Riv 28?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 83 Carver Riviera 28
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Re: Portable Genny on a Riv 28?

Postby SunsetSteve » February 16th, 2021, 5:38 pm

I appreciate the reminders. As a former diesel boater I am aware of the shortcomings and dangers of gasoline engines. Dieselers do enjoy pointing those dangers out. :-D her
On my Albin 25 I rejected the Genny solution (returned the Generac I had bought) and went full on solar with great success. 12V aboard exclusively. This Riv being set up as a dock-queen power-wise, I am looking for a quick solution until I can rig a proper solar solution. My use for the coming season will be (a) marina dock-basking with shore power, (b) day-tripping and swimming at anchor, and (b) weekending at Natl Park Island docks (no power). Long cord to shore works here. Everything on this boat of any serious use is 110V, except interior lights and the Yeti cooler.

So the main reason for my question is, assuming I go for a portable generator, is to figure out where to store it onboard securely. There ain't much spare room on the smallish swim platform, and I need to put my dinghy there anyhow. There might be room - strap it down? If on the bow deck . . . how to secure it? I still need to figure out where to stick the Yeti . . . Carver puts so much into these yachts (hope nobody minds me using that term for my 28) there isn't much free space left over.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Portable Genny on a Riv 28?

Postby tomschauer » February 16th, 2021, 7:29 pm

If your USCG capacity tag reads "Yacht Certified"
Your 28 is a Yacht!

Return to “Electrical”