Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Portable Genny on a Riv 28?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 83 Carver Riviera 28
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Portable Genny on a Riv 28?

Postby SunsetSteve » February 11th, 2021, 6:17 pm

If anyone has resorted to using a portable generator, such as a Honda 2000 for example, on a 28 Riv . . . where did / do you store it and run it? Looking for a short term solution before going solar for staying out all week/weekend. Everything major on this boat seems to be 110V - TV, stove, fridge, A/C if I can fix it, water heater.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Portable Genny on a Riv 28?

Postby g36 » February 11th, 2021, 10:22 pm

It will work but you need to be mindful of carbon monoxide getting into the cabin. It can be used on the swimplatform or foredeck. On different boats I've had used in both locations with no problems
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Postby KeithS » February 12th, 2021, 9:37 am

Due to AC grounding issues and carbon monoxide, USCG, ABYC, NFPA, insurance companies and all portable generator manufacturers advise against it. It can never be stored below deck as that would violate USCG regulations on portable gas tank storage. No portable meets UL or USCG standards for use on board a vessel. It is not without reason that all marine gas generator built in the past 15 years have EFI and catalytic converters.
However it is a semi-free country and everyone is entitled to make there own decision as to risk/reward. Be sure to examine all the issues to operate as safe as possible and be sure the rest of the family is aware of the risks. Others have used them successfully, I personally feel it is too much like Russian Roulette. A slight wind shift can be serious.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 12th, 2021, 11:03 am

Although it may not be technically legal there are literally thousands of boats that do this. I myself had a Honda 1000 and then replaced it with a 2000 when they came out. Great quiet little unit. Many in my region used long extension cords when docked to the islands. Put the unit on shore far enough away to not hear it at all and just let it run. While at anchor I would use it on the swim platform but never at night when we were sleeping unless it was on shore as explained above. You do want to make sure you have CIO detectors on board.

Not sure why it is not legal, do not think it is illegal in Canada. No different than carrying and outboard on board which either has a built in gas tank or a plastic unit and you want also a jerry can of gas on board to fill the outboard up. All of this is obviously legal everywhere and nobody advises against this.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Postby KeithS » February 12th, 2021, 11:17 am

Again everyone is free to decide their own level of risk. They just need to be sure what those risks are and how best to mitigate them.
I am not familiar with Canadian regulations, the USCG regulations would prohibit an outboard with an integral gas tank from being stored below decks, same with the portable fuel tanks. Now enforcement is really not a realistic issue, I would be more concerned that if something did happen the insurance company would point that out when they denied a claim.
As you say many use them and have no issues.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 12th, 2021, 12:39 pm

KiethS,
I would never recommend to store any flammables of any kind below deck and do not think anyone would unless they are new to boating and did not know better. Good to mention it though as I have seen generators stored in the bilge not to mention several post in the past on how one could install a Honda in the bilge! Not a great idea unless you want your spouse to collect life insurance earlier than planned. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 12th, 2021, 1:05 pm

Considering this forum is read by many boaters around the world and many new boaters, here is a quick read about this topic by someone I consider to be well versed. CO poisoning is a very real concern as it kills many boaters a year. Decisions such as this should be considered with being aware of all the possible problems, CO, the grounding issue, which is one of those things that gets overlooked until there is a tragedy. Anyway read and make your own decision as to what to do.....Stay safe

https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/2019/ ... for-boats/
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 12th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Good link Bud. The biggest problem I have with portables is the electrical issue of coarse, it's hard to get around, and few if any that use portable units are aware of it. The other problems I have with portable units on a boat is ignorance, negligence, and stupidity. And sometimes, as a neighbour you simply don't know what's going on in the boat next to you, nor can you rely on the owner's knowledge. Can't tell you how many times I've come across portable fuel tanks, generators, and outboards being stored in a gasoline engine compartment. And despite pointing these things out to them, I found with regularity that the next time I returned for maintenance or repairs, the same practice existed. These items must be stored overboard. I refuse now to work on any vessel that has these stored on or below deck.

As for the exhaust, IMO, any way the exhaust can blow from a portable unit can happen just as much from an on-board marine unit. While the exhaust may originate from a different location like the bow, wind is the equalizer and can blow the exhaust anywhere as much as it can with that of a marine unit. It's really up to the operator to mitigate the potential risks of that with both marine/fixed and non-marine units.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 12th, 2021, 10:39 pm

As for the exhaust, IMO, any way the exhaust can blow from a portable unit can happen just as much from an on-board marine unit. While the exhaust may originate from a different location like the bow, wind is the equalizer and can blow the exhaust anywhere as much as it can with that of a marine unit. It's really up to the operator to mitigate the potential risks of that with both marine/fixed and non-marine units.

With a portable unit, you can actually move the unit as required to gain favorable exhaust discharge location. With our permanently installed units, you have to move the boat if the wind in not in a favorable direction to direct fumes away from the boat.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 12th, 2021, 11:42 pm

Ya that's in a perfect world Tom, but we all know that conditions change and most simply set it and forget it. Throw in a few beers and a good time where everyone let's down their guard, and, well, you get the picture. We all say Hondas are really quiet right? I've seen guys turn them on at the bow, do their thing with them, continue to party and forget they're still running 'cause they can't hear them over the music.

Portable units have their place and a lot of people use them on boats but man you gotta be extremely careful and smart about it.

Return to “Electrical”