Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Dead fuel gages

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Captdoug
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 42 SS 2006

Dead fuel gages

Postby Captdoug » February 13th, 2021, 12:53 am

How hard is it to change the fuel gauge sending unit? My 2006 42SS fuel gages read total full with the key on n totally empty when the key is off. I drove it for six hours and they never moved off full.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Dead fuel gages

Postby tomschauer » February 13th, 2021, 1:37 am

How many tanks do you have? I'm sure at least two. Its possible, but unlikely two senders failed at the same time. Is it possible you are running off an auxiliary tank?

Captdoug
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Captdoug » February 13th, 2021, 11:02 am

I just bought the boat so don’t know how long the gauges haven’t been working. The boat has two tanks. I looked at the sending unit and there’s not much room between the top of the tank and the floor above it. Will the sending unit float be able to pivot around enough to remove it? Hopefully I don’t have to drain the tank and remove it to get the sender out.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 14th, 2021, 3:45 am

A few years ago one of my fuel gauges quit working. First thing I did was to pull the wire clean off the contact points of the wire and the tank and the gauge was working again. In my case it must have lost a good solid contact from corrosion.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 14th, 2021, 4:40 am

Agree with Rick, 2 gauges at the same time is unlikely, sounds like a grounding issue. I would start with the wire connection at the tank.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Captdoug
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Captdoug » February 14th, 2021, 11:58 pm

Thanks sounds like a good place to start.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 15th, 2021, 8:00 am

Do the needles move past the full mark when you key on as though the needles are pegging? If so, that's an indication of the sender wire shorting to ground or the tanks really are full. Turning the key off would cause the needle to return to empty as you describe. The short can be anywhere including the sender but as mentioned above check the connections at the tanks and the gauges. Make sure the connections are clean and tight, and ensure the sender and positive wires are isolated from ground. Also check the wire insulation around any wire that might being in contact with a grounded item like the fuel tank.

United States of America
Steve2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 41 CMY

Postby Steve2020 » February 15th, 2021, 9:19 am

They just replaced a sending in our main tank on out 41CMY the only way it could be done was to gently pull up the carpet and make an access through the floor over the unit. One of the auxiliary tanks was acting up also that one luckily just needed the connection cleaned at the unit.

United States of America
jspin101
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 41 CMY w/ 2006 Volvo D6 370I-B's

Postby jspin101 » May 22nd, 2021, 5:42 am

Steve2020,
I have the same issue with my 41 CMY on the starboard side.
How big was the hole they made? What did the cover it with after?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 22nd, 2021, 8:52 am

If room allows, I usually use a 6" hole saw. This gives you plenty of room to work with and allows for a bit of deviation above the sender in case you don't quite get the center right over the spot you need to get to. Measure carefully before you cut so you only make one hole. You keep the piece that was cut out, fasten a 3/4" wooden backer under the hole, then screw the piece you cut out to the backer. Counter sink the screw holes and you flat head screws so they don't protrude above the surface of the floor. There will be a gap resulting from the saw teeth which you can caulk, then put the carpet back.

Return to “Electrical”