Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

10EOZD Generator 2009 44 Sojourn - Coolant Change

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

10EOZD Generator 2009 44 Sojourn - Coolant Change

Postby Rocketman » March 1st, 2021, 8:36 am

New to me at the first of the year. Boat has always been fresh water in Georgia and now Alabama.
I need to change the coolant (looks like it has never been changed). Here is the problem and probably the reason.

The generator is placed on the port side of the boat tucked under the back platform. There is about 4 inches of clearance above the generator and there are no access holes in the platform.
After removing the front, service side, and top sound covers; I can barely reach my hand in far enough to touch the radiator cap. No way to remove it, drain the coolant, access the petcock on the rear, fill, reach the bleed screw, or access the anode.

Has anyone else done this job or have any ideas on how to gain access without somehow unbolting the generator and sliding the whole unit out against the port engine?
Even then, it may be difficult to impossible to reach the back side petcock or bleed screw.

I am thinking of just slowly removing the coolant from the overflow tank and filling with fresh each time I run the generator to slowly mix in new coolant and remove old coolant. This will take a while but I think I can get it fresh enough after about 3 gallons of coolant removing and replacing over the summer.

Still does not resolve replacement of the anode but the generator/boat has always been in fresh water and has 520 hours on it.

Thanks

Return to “Electrical”