Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler 15.5 EOZD

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 46 Voyager
Volvo D9-500’s

Kohler 15.5 EOZD

Postby vtcats » April 10th, 2021, 7:19 am

Two questions. Does any one know if there are anode (s) on this model and if not, why not?
I have the parts breakdown manual and couldn’t find it, but it’s over 120 pages long given it includes similar models. It’s possible I missed it.
Mine is within a sound shield and very difficult to see from all angles. Ironically I recently had the shield off but was focused on cleaning up changing my coolant change and wasn’t looking for an anode.
Anyway, I was just curious about that given I change my main Volvo engine anodes every winter. And in addition I have heard of other generators that do have zinc anodes.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo D9-500’s

Re: Kohler 15.5 EOZD

Postby vtcats » May 26th, 2021, 6:13 am

While I may be just talking to myself here given no prev reply, I did get my hands on a service manual and this particular model does not have any anodes.
Also, To add to an ongoing mystery possibly solved:
For the last few years I would occasionally get “pulsing” in voltage only; engine was running smooth(like maybe the unit was cold, but was not).
Normally it would eventually smooth out. It seemed to happen more often last year. The issue with voltage going up and down by at least 20 volts.
This spring I tried and could not replicate the issue until 2 weeks ago (maybe). I noticed that when the load pulses when using the coffeemaker (the heating element that comes on and off) the voltage does the same (kind of like when a compressor to an AC kicks on you get that spike, but in this case it’s a constant thing till the coffee maker finishes.
So I replaced my controller/voltage regulator and SCR module (had to reprogram the controller per the manual and matching the prev one). Annnnnnndddd, it still did the same thing. Keep in mind I did have Koehler tech see what was happening and agreed it’s most likely the regulator and what was happening was not normal to the level he saw.
But....I had prev spoken to another Koehler tech (and I had forgotten their advice over the winter), which was to change the stability/gain. He said all their units get shipped out for residential/mobile and marine use with the same gain at level 4. But marine units work better with a higher stability/gain. He said to change the stability/gain increase to 5.9. I did and SOLVED. Voltage variation is rock steady.
So now I’m thinking I wasted my money on the controller, but in the back of my head, I’m pretty sure there were instances of the voltage jumping around even when I was not getting those Load variations, so maybe this is also solved. We will see.....I’m keeping my old one for now.
One last note, changing the controller wiped my hours. I keep track of all that so I know what it was, but I can’t imagine that’s a good thing when/if I ever sell...
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 26th, 2021, 6:56 am

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Sounds like you worked hard to solve this problem. I don't recall ever having to deal with a similar issue so this is good to know. Let us know if the solution worked for the season.

vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo D9-500’s

Postby vtcats » May 26th, 2021, 7:23 am

I will, thanks. The hardest part was taking apart and even more so, putting back together the metal pieces to get to the SCR module (which I was told HAD to be replaced) if changing the controller due to possible voltage regulation issues.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 26th, 2021, 10:34 am

Thanks for posting the follow up!! I'm surprised on one weighed in on your original post, but perhaps no one else every got to that point with their EOZDs. I am surprised to hear there is not an anode. Probably not a big deal in freshwater, but I wonder how they hold up in a saltier environment. Maybe it's not necessary because of the heat exchanger?

Interesting info on the whole regulator/voltage issue. I'm sure down the road that will help another member!!

Return to “Electrical”