Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reverse Polarity Light when running Generator

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
VolNavy91
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 400 CMY
1st Date
Paris Landing, TN

Reverse Polarity Light when running Generator

Postby VolNavy91 » June 23rd, 2021, 11:12 am

OK here's a weird one for those of you that understand AC power better than I do. I have a '97 400 with twin 30 amp inputs and a 4.2k westerbeke generator. No issues on shore power. No issues on Generator with panel one (galley, outlets, HWH, charger). On the Air Conditioning panel no issue when I run the pump or the forward AC unit. But when I turn the rear unit on I, the reverse polarity (red) light comes on. This only happens when the generator is running. Any ideas?

United States of America
KandJ72
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '76 Carver Mariner 3395
Twin 351W Vdrives
Refit in process

Re: Reverse Polarity Light when running Generator

Postby KandJ72 » June 23rd, 2021, 8:19 pm

Just for verification have you gone through the process or running just that one A/C and nothing else on gen just to see if it's not a load issue. If so 1st thing I'd check is ground on that A/C. I worked on RV's and travel trailers for many years and 90 +% of the time Gen and A/C issues (as well as most electrical) is ground. It could very well be your getting a little feedback through that circuit and running on Gen power is a little dirtier and its just enough to trigger that light.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 23rd, 2021, 9:26 pm

+1, I agree. Check your connections and do a good visual at the wiring on that AC unit to ensure the condition of the wires, their insulation, and connections including harness plug pins are clean and in good shape. If all is in good shape there, open the junction box where all the units plug into and check that unit's wiring/connection there as well.

Topic author United States of America
VolNavy91
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 400 CMY
1st Date
Paris Landing, TN

Postby VolNavy91 » June 25th, 2021, 3:06 pm

Thanks y'all. I will check it out. It seems to only be when that A/C unit is on, whether or not anything else is pulling on the generator. On shore power no issues.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 26th, 2021, 9:08 am

VolNavy91 wrote:Source of the post Thanks y'all. I will check it out. It seems to only be when that A/C unit is on, whether or not anything else is pulling on the generator. On shore power no issues.

When on the generator the power returns to the generator vs returning to the shore service. So the AC unit and the generator have the boats bonding system in common, something to consider as well as the AC unit's possible wiring problem, now whether that would light up the reverse polarity light I don't know at this point.........good luck and be careful when working on 120 volt power systems.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”