Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Charger not charging batteries when on Generator

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Charger not charging batteries when on Generator

Postby denders » July 25th, 2021, 6:14 pm

This is a head scratcher for me, 1985 3607 aft cabin , with a 30 amp Newmar charger. When connected to shore power the charger functions nornally putting out roughly 10 amps DC into the batteries. Gradually reducing to zero as the bank charge goes up over 13 volts. When I disconnect from shore power and start the generator - There is 12 volts at the charger output ( measured with multimeter ) but zero amps going into the batteries. Stop generator and plug back into shore power - charging starts again. I ran the generator for 45 minutes and actually saw the availble volts go down from 12.2 to 12.1 in that timeframe. My first response is to replace the charger with something from this century but I would really like to understand the behaviour. Any thoughts from the forum ?????

Thanks in advance

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Charger not charging batteries when on Generator

Postby g36 » July 25th, 2021, 8:36 pm

The genset charges its own battery, are the others connected to it through a charge relay , selector switch etc?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby denders » July 25th, 2021, 8:45 pm

There is the Mid 80's carver selector switch - 1 , all , 2 and off . The generator is putting out the voltage it is supposed to , all outlets and a/c work. The charger is a 3 bank charger , there are 4 batteries - I have not been able to determine how they are setup. One has 1,000 CCA - I will assume that is a starter battery ( on our 82 carver that would have been bank 1 ) and the other 3 would be the house bank ( bank 2 in our previous boat ). All batteries are charged when we are on shore power , and none are charged on the generator.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 26th, 2021, 5:54 am

Have you actually measured that there is sufficient voltage to the charger when the generator is running? If so then the only thing I can think of is the power from the generator is dirty and your charger does not like it. Had this happen with an older Generac whole house generator at home where some electronics would simply not function. What puzzles me is it worked before. Maybe the generator output is just getting old and not producing sufficient clean power to fire up the charger? Could also be the charger is getting old and finicky wanting cleaner power.

Normally you will have a battery/engine, a house battery and a generator battery so 4 in total. Problem is someone may have reconfigured as many do to have a larger house bank. Gonna need to get in there with a volt meter and study the wiring to figure yours out. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 26th, 2021, 7:22 am

Your voltage as measured is very low, actually a fully charged battery right off the charger should read around 12.9 vdc.......your 12.1 is a depleted battery. While the charger is operating initially you should see well over 14 vdc. I agree it makes no sense for the charger to only operate when on shore power, but could be a power issue , to have the charger wiring miss the 120 vac from the genny would be quite odd.

It may be time like you say to move on from that charger. Also a quick check of the generator output may not be a bad idea here......you want to see around 59 to 61 Hertz at around 120 volts.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby denders » July 26th, 2021, 8:24 am

Thanks for the responses , I will check the generator output next time we are at the boat. I didn't think that would be an issue since everything else including the A/C is working fine on generator power. I will verify and do more digging on the wiring. I will also pull out the battery tester and check each battery indivdually, might be time to just bite the bullet and move to AGM batteries for a house bank and a new charger.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 26th, 2021, 9:10 am

denders wrote:Source of the post I didn't think that would be an issue since everything else including the A/C is working fine on generator power.

Actually, all the other equipment will probably operate if the cycles are off, but whether they work up to par is another matter.....old style chargers not so much.....worth a check to put that to bed......good luck an your hunt..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 26th, 2021, 10:34 am

What is the model of the charger??

I would think with a NEWER charger that the voltage and frequency of the source (generator) would be more of an issue. The older ferro-resonant chargers would take just about anything and still run fine.

What kind of transfer switch do you have to switch over from shore to genset power for the 120VAC? Some of the older ones had a manual switch but some had an auto switch. Could be that the charger breaker (is it on a dedicated breaker??) is wired into the transfer switch so that it won't run unless you're on shore power. Take a pic of your VAC power panels and post them... I wonder if they're stock. You'd have to open up the rear compartment to check the wiring for changes from stock though.

Topic author Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby denders » July 26th, 2021, 9:24 pm

Km1125 - It is one of the older Ferro-resonant chargers. The charger is putting out 12 volts regardless of power source but close to zero amps on the genny. The transfer to shore from Genset is supposedly automatic , there is another issue where when we plug into shore power both 110 AC main breakers trip. I am not sure how that would be related - if the transfer switch didn't switch over the generator would not be putting out 12 volts on genny. I know the breaker for the charger is not stock ( so someone did something somewhere sometime ..... I call this a POS ..... Previous owner syndrome :-P .

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 26th, 2021, 9:58 pm

Just a check, if you are testing the output of the charger, with the batteries connected to the charger and the charger has no input power ( therefore no output power) you are simply reading the voltage of the batteries, not the charger.
You want to disconnect the charge leads to the batteries and see what you have.

Return to “Electrical”