Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Lifepo4 Batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Lifepo4 Batteries

Postby Midnightsun » September 11th, 2022, 4:29 pm

Here you can see where Lithium really shines. At 96% charged, still charging at over 80A.

IMG_5130.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 9th, 2022, 8:40 am

Overall outcome of the LifePo4 integration is amazing, never had this much reliable juice and so quick and easy to put back in. One of the best upgrades I have made to Midnight Sun. Highly recommend this when your house bank is due.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 23rd, 2023, 7:11 am

I have not mentioned this however some may not be aware regarding the recommended DC to DC charger applications capabilities. IF you already have a good sized shore power charger on the boat, it is not necessary to install a dedicated Lithium charger such as I did. It will allow you to charge faster but this may not be required for all boaters and their applications.

The DC to DC charger is designed to bypass the alternator which would get damaged if one were to let it charge the LifePo4 bank. I relies on alternator charge going into the non LifePo4 bank which would be your starting batteries, taking the excess and boosting it to introduce to the LifePo4 bank at the correct voltage to charge. That being said, if one starts the genny which activates the shore power charger, it will automatically kick in the DC to DC charger(s) to charge the lithium bank just like an alternator would while under way. This however will most max out at with the output of the shore power charger you have.

I will experiment this summer shutting off my dedicated Lithium shore power charger to see how much juice I get into the LifePo4 bank from my 50A lead acid battery charger through the DC to DC charger.

Figured I would mention this as it eliminates the work and additional expense of installing a dedicated LifePo4 shore charger for certain applications. Personally I want my charge to be as quick as possible as I want quick top off at anchor when running the genny for meals or short intervals if you prefer which is why I have the high output dedicated Lithium charger. In comparison, someone travelling frequently would be more than satisfied without.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 28th, 2023, 6:07 am

Some interesting facts on alternators, a real eye opener especially if one has a larger battery bank and relies heavily on alternators as a charge source. https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/the- ... ?print=pdf
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » March 28th, 2023, 7:03 am

Very , very nice and clean install. Typical Hans. Obviously you are happy with the Smart Shunt as monitor. They have the IP65 version of it also available. Probably over-kill since it would be installed in the engine room. Again, Nice set-up!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 28th, 2023, 7:20 am

That waterproof smart shunt unit is something new as it was not available a year ago. Good option for some applications though. Mine is located under the galley floor so if it gets wet I have some serious problems that need to be dealt with like putting on life jackets and broadcasting mayday. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » March 28th, 2023, 9:56 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post That waterproof smart shunt unit is something new as it was not available a year ago. Good option for some applications though. Mine is located under the galley floor so if it gets wet I have some serious problems that need to be dealt with like putting on life jackets and broadcasting mayday. :-D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 28th, 2023, 10:17 am

They can get wet while winterizing though.......I had one shorted by the pink ( not me ). After that I fitted the shunts in large plastic conduit junctions that had the o ring lids, that kept moisture and feet away.. :-D

Good article read, well explained.......what I have been saying for years about considering putting back what you take out and the actual time it takes to do it right.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 28th, 2023, 11:44 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
Good article read, well explained.......what I have been saying for years about considering putting back what you take out and the actual time it takes to do it right.

Totally agree with you Bud, some people do not simply because they do not understand.

I put this article up for all to read so everyone understands how important it is to get the juice back in correctly and efficiently. Too many people believe a 100a alternator will input 100a back into their setup when the demand is there however this is false. This is another good reason why a DC to DC charger shines when converting to Lithium. In my case each alternator is only taxed at a 30a output, well within their parameters of keeping up with the demand. Plus the alts are not fighting against each other since they are independent of each other in this setup producing a constant 60 amps combined when there is a demand.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 28th, 2023, 12:54 pm

Hans , over time there has been any number of posts with links ( to some marine experts ) we have put up , but the problem is , they get buried over time. I have always thought we should have more stickies that could have informative links on certain subjects that could be readily accessible for people to read and learn from for each forum subject.....especially electrical..!!!!

I don't know about you but my memory of when and where these old threads and posts are is very foggy.. :-O
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electrical”