Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Lifepo4 Batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Lifepo4 Batteries

Postby Midnightsun » August 13th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Well I decided to take the leap to lifepo4 batteries. Probably going to need a bunch of advice so please jump in.

Lithium has come down to a some what reasonable price and the tech is now much more feasible in all respects.

Why Lifepo4? longevity is supposed to be 10 years plus. They can be drained to zero with no ill affects or voltage drop which means a 100ah battery actually has 100ah. They charge at full rate from zero to 100% basically on a bulk charge with no absorption phase which usually takes forever to get our standard wet cells to 100%. Discharge cycles are quoted as 2000 plus.

Enough of my babbling, read this. https://www.power-sonic.com/blog/lithiu ... batteries/

Will be using dual 300ah lithiums for a total of 600 usable AH which huge yet will only weigh in at about 68lbs each.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N53GF81/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately lithium is not all that good for use as stating batteries so those will remain the same. My 3 bank charger will service the 2 engines and my generator however the dedicated generator charger will be removed and replaced with a true dedicated lithium charger.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DP3X16F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still need to figure out how to handle the alternator Lithium issue but a call to Sterling should get me on the right track.
https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/Ster ... arger.aspx
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Re: Lifepo4 Batteries

Postby denders » August 13th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Please keep the forum posted , I am planning a battery / charger upgrade come spring..... From what I can see Lithium is only ( yeah ..... only ) about 300.00 more per 200AH battery. Bite the bullet now and I should be good for the remainder of my boating time !

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 13th, 2021, 7:20 pm

May not happen until end of season as I am still studying every I need to know. Have ordered the batteries and charger though.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » August 14th, 2021, 11:28 pm

Midnightsun wrote:May not happen until end of season as I am still studying every I need to know. Have ordered the batteries and charger though.

Some things to consider:

The alternator issues are partially served if you use conventional lead acid batteries for your start/gennie. That will prevent the alternator from frying itself if the BMSturns the lithium’s off while they are charging.

The other issue is that your alternators can toast themselves running full tilt while trying to match the charge acceptance rate of the lithium’s. Alternators with an external regulator which has temp sensing and the ability to set the highest charge rate of the alternators will help.

The other issue you will face is keeping the cells in balance, and also protecting against a spike charge when originally connecting the lithium to the lead acid systems. If the cells are out of balance to the point that one goes past the low or high set point, the BMS will shut the battery off. While your alternators would be protected with a properly set up ACR or battery combiner continuing to charge the lead acids, you still might experience a dark ship event, which might not be pretty, depending upon where you are located.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » August 14th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Jim Healey is an electrical engineer who I have spent time learning from. He is the engineering director for MTOA, a former computer engineer, a contributor to the ABYC electrical standards group, and he puts his articles on his web site. You can find two articles on lithium there.

https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/

Hope that helps.

Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Postby denders » August 15th, 2021, 9:19 am

Thanks for the link - A lot to consider in there

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 15th, 2021, 9:29 am

He is someone I have used as a resource for years now, well written good accurate info.

Should be a sticky.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 15th, 2021, 11:16 am

Good article, pretty much validates my thoughts on using lithium batteries in boats at this time, and their too dangerous IMO.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » August 15th, 2021, 11:36 am

One change to the below post, is that it would be better to use a DC to DC as opposed to an ACR due to being able to set the differing charge rates between the two battery types.

Helmsman wrote:Source of the post
Midnightsun wrote:May not happen until end of season as I am still studying every I need to know. Have ordered the batteries and charger though.

Some things to consider:

The alternator issues are partially served if you use conventional lead acid batteries for your start/gennie. That will prevent the alternator from frying itself if the BMSturns the lithium’s off while they are charging.

The other issue is that your alternators can toast themselves running full tilt while trying to match the charge acceptance rate of the lithium’s. Alternators with an external regulator which has temp sensing and the ability to set the highest charge rate of the alternators will help.

The other issue you will face is keeping the cells in balance, and also protecting against a spike charge when originally connecting the lithium to the lead acid systems. If the cells are out of balance to the point that one goes past the low or high set point, the BMS will shut the battery off. While your alternators would be protected with a properly set up ACR or battery combiner continuing to charge the lead acids, you still might experience a dark ship event, which might not be pretty, depending upon where you are located.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 15th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Pretty much convinced dc to dc charger is the way to go. Great articles and lots of info to digest. Thanks for everything and keep the comments coming.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Electrical”