Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Batteries concern

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 83 Carver Riviera 28
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Batteries concern

Postby SunsetSteve » September 11th, 2021, 8:47 pm

My Riv 28 runs on 2 Grp 31 batteries that are intended to do all things with the 1-2-both-off switch. Old school, but OK for a dock queen with day trip outings. Not good enough for my planned windlass upgrade. But . . . Normally my NOCO charger shows 2 green lights until last week one green and one red. Low on electrolyte on Batt 2 so I topped the cells up. Next weekend - 2 green.
Day outing today with the fridge breaker off, so only dash gauges and electronics on, but when I returned to dock, 2 red on the charger.
It seems odd to me that the alternators can't keep those "marine" batteries up. I am looking at a battery system upgrade (windlass), but now I wonder if I can rescue these 2 in a new configuration. Pics of the batteries below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Re: Batteries concern

Postby uchu » September 11th, 2021, 9:43 pm

How old are the batteries? Have you tested them with a multimeter?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 11th, 2021, 9:58 pm

How long was the return trip after you had been sitting for the day? Are you sure your alternator(s) are working correctly and delivering the right voltage?

As uchu says, how old are those batteries? Does "red" on your charger just mean the batteries are taking current (the charger is actually charging instead of float)?

Not sure why you think those two batteries couldn't handle your winch. I ran with two Group 29's for nearly 10 years with big blocks and a winch and never had an issue. Unless you're running 1000' of very heavy chain, even just ONE of those batteries could handle a winch for that size boat.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 11th, 2021, 10:41 pm

Ya check alternator output and test the batteries with a proper tester. The charger and alternators may be bringing them up but they may not be holding a charge.

Topic author Canada
SunsetSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 83 Carver Riviera 28
76 Albin 25 (outgoing)

Postby SunsetSteve » September 12th, 2021, 6:34 pm

I've researched how to check out the batteries and alternator with my multi meter, so I will get to that asap. We only stopped the motors for 15 minutes for a swim, and turned off the refer breaker before heading out. The red lights show that both batteries are being charged (which means they need a charge!)

Interested to hear (see) KM1125's opinion that the 31s should suffice to run the windlass - that would solve a number of issues, including where to locate the 3rd battery. But if either one of these 31s are showing poorly -please god it's not the alternator) I have to delve into the question of how to build the new bank. :-(

Thanks everyone!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 12th, 2021, 7:55 pm

A pair of 31’s is all you need for your boat. I have a 356 with big block 8.1’s and windless. I also have a pair of 31’s. Of course, I do have a separate starting battery for my genset.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 13th, 2021, 6:58 am

If the batteries are bad and you need replacement and you want to stick with Group 31, I can vouch for the Cummins brand. Have only had them for 2 years but they seem to indicate perfect health. Could not believe how cheap they were. If you ever get down to the Montreal area, the Cummins center is just off the Trans Canada. https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/s ... 1&store=EN
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 13th, 2021, 7:30 am

SunsetSteve wrote:Source of the post I've researched how to check out the batteries and alternator with my multi meter.....
That only gives you a partial look at their condition, it doesn't give you a full picture IMO. If all you're doing is taking a one-time reading, you could be mistakenly giving a passing mark to a bad battery. There is a process to determining the true condition with just a multi meter. I prefer a proper battery tester in conjunction with a load type tester.

Return to “Electrical”