Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

No power to port side panel AFT 1983 Carver 28 Mariner

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Mccurdyj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver 28 Mariner

No power to port side panel AFT 1983 Carver 28 Mariner

Postby Mccurdyj » September 13th, 2021, 5:55 pm

I am getting power to the starboard side of my panel and gauges but not my port side. The gauges read and light up on the starboard side but not the port side. I can start my starboard engine with the key switch but I can’t start my port side with the key switch.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: No power to port side panel AFT 1983 Carver 28 Mariner

Postby bud37 » September 13th, 2021, 6:19 pm

Welcome to the forum....do you have a white button above your ignition switch.....if so it is a breaker.....reset it and try.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Mccurdyj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Mccurdyj » September 13th, 2021, 6:32 pm

I do not see a white button. I attached images of the panel. I have a fuse but it is good. Swapped the fuse with the right side fuse and the right side continued to work while the port did not.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 13th, 2021, 6:55 pm

Ok, just a thought…
I assume you have 2 batteries with a 1-2-Both switch. If it is set to either 1 or 2, switch it to the other or both and see if anything different happens.

Another thought…it may be as simple as a bad ignition switch. I had one go bad a few years ago and had to replace it.

Mccurdyj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Mccurdyj » September 13th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Thank you guys for the suggestions. Battery selector switch is on both. I swapped the starboard and port ignition switches and the starboard engine and panel are both good while the port still doesn’t work. I don’t see a breaker in the main panel that could affect this. And I can’t find a fuse box anywhere

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 13th, 2021, 8:26 pm

What engines are we talking about here, Mercs, Crusaders??

Mccurdyj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Mccurdyj » September 13th, 2021, 9:56 pm

351 cleavlands by pleasure craft marine engine co

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 13th, 2021, 9:57 pm

It is for sure in neutral...yes. jiggle the shifter around.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Mccurdyj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Mccurdyj » September 13th, 2021, 11:29 pm

Made sure it was in neutral. Wiggled and tried as well. Power and lights to the gauges exist regardless of the gear box being engaged or not. This one has me stumped. I can turn on my bulge pumps and blower with the switches located on the port side of the panel. I also discovered that if I push in the switch that allows the fuel gauge to initiate and tell how much fuel is in each tank, the fuel gauge and temp gauge on fuel the port side go to the “full” and “200 degree” range and max out. The lights still don’t come on but the gauges max out when I push that button in. Short? Or? I climbed under and behind all the gauges and switches and nothing is smoking or charred. Nothing looks loose. No wires hanging. Everything worked when I got the boat a few weeks ago. Worked for weeks. Then one day the starter stayed engaged even after we turned the switch to the off position. Turned it on and off again and it didn’t happen again. We started the port side engine and took off. When we tried to crank and come home, the port side would not try to start. This is when all this started. I checked the started and it is good. Will engage and turn the engine if I bypass the solenoid. I put a new solenoid on. The problem is I the ignition switch and the panel. Not getting power. Can not pen point it.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 14th, 2021, 6:43 am

Check the engine harness plug. Make sure the pins are clean and not corroded, and that they are in place and not pulled out. You could also do the "wiggle test" by having someone at the helm keep the key in the start position while you wiggle the harness and individual wires. Just stay clear of moving parts in case the engine starts. I assume you already looked for a main breaker on the engine and a slave solenoid? Is there any clicking at the engine when you try to start her? Have someone at the helm trying to start her while you're back there listening. This is a single station/helm boat correct?

Return to “Electrical”