Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Solar Generator replacement for Kohler gas genny

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Re: Solar Generator replacement for Kohler gas genny

Postby vineyardgray » March 24th, 2022, 9:55 am

I too thought of fuel cells (EFOY) as a potential solution - looks like their biggest is 210aH?

Curious on what your research over the winter yeilded?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » March 24th, 2022, 9:58 am

oops double post
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
DarylB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Mariner

Postby DarylB » November 9th, 2022, 2:04 pm

Hi all,

My 7.3kW Kohler is dead and the control board replacement is coming in at $5k parts! I was planning to add solar in the spring for some quiet 120V power while on the hook. Now I too am looking at turfing the gas generator and just going to a battery pack to handle everything.

Any update on peoples progress on these projects?
M/V Destination Un Scheduled
2004 Carver 360 Mariner
Twin Volvo Penta 5.7L
Kohler 7_3E

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 9th, 2022, 3:05 pm

Pretty sure the project just does not work. Nothing out there will replace a generator when it comes to supplying power not only for high draw appliances but also recharging of battery banks. Solar is nice but rather limited and lets not for get a few cloudy days and you have nothing going in.

The only viable solution is a portable Honda 2000 and a good size battery bank combined with a good size solar array however the limitations of a Honda 2000 for charging is going to be around a max of 40a. Bottom line is an on board generator is not really replaceable by other non mechanical means.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 10th, 2022, 9:57 am

DarylB wrote:Source of the post Hi all,

My 7.3kW Kohler is dead and the control board replacement is coming in at $5k parts! I was planning to add solar in the spring for some quiet 120V power while on the hook. Now I too am looking at turfing the gas generator and just going to a battery pack to handle everything.

Any update on peoples progress on these projects?

You really need to understand your needs if you're going to consider replacing the genset with a battery system. Yes, it CAN be done in some situations, but it all depends on how YOU are going to use the boat. How much HVAC do you really use when on the hook? Could you or would you be willing to use the mains to recharge the battery bank when necessary? That would probably entail adding a high-output alternator to one or both of the engines, but that would allow you to periodically recharge a sizable battery bank even if you have some other means (solar, etc) of adding capacity.

BTW, if you really decide to chuck the genset, there's another member on here who'd probably REALLY be interested in your carburetor and maybe some other parts!! (see this thread: viewtopic.php?p=57425#p57425)

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 10th, 2022, 10:21 pm

Check with ASAP in lebanon pa
www.partsfortechs.com
I bought a new board for my 7.3 esz for $290. But that was about 6 years ago.

Topic author Canada
GFB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby GFB » July 17th, 2023, 1:11 pm

Hello Everyone. I was the one who originated the post re the Solar generator, I saw the posts went into November 2022. I will let everyone know as most of you said there was no easy solution to this. The fuel cell idea was probably the best, but it's cost was 3x what the repair was going to be for my existing generator.
So I went with a DC-DC charger and solar panels, 200ah on battery capable of expanding up to about 800ah if need be. Works like a charm, though cannot run the AC as was the original intention.
In order to do that I would need to buy a new AC unit that is designed from the ground up to work off of the solar capabilities. See the O'Kelly's sailing channel on youtube and they detail this excellently. Thank you for all of your comments and help!

Great Britain
Aflix
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 33 '92
Aqua Fiber 42 1976

Postby Aflix » November 18th, 2023, 7:00 pm

HI All,

I am about to embark on a similar process, I have a 1992 Carver 33, in ok condition. However, as things die, I am intending to go to new tech.

First thing I have done, I got a bluetti 200max... This has the capability of running EVERYTHING except heating/cooling for a good day at least. When I come back to shore, I just hook the bluetti up to shore power to charge, and as act as a bypasss and UPS!. However, I also know you can input almost 1000KW/H with solar, in addition you can also be hooked up to the battery charger to charge while under engine power (haven't tried the last two yet, as I am only 4 hrs between pedestals at the moment!

My first issue is that I wanted to connect the bluetti 30amp output, directly to the shore power input on the boat, so the bluetti is truly powering all the 110v on "shore 1" through the panel as if the boat is hooked to shore- I can't find any dog ear etc. connector that can do this off the shelf! Help! At the moment, I am powering the boat through loads of extension cords to the 15amp (4 of them) outlets, and by-passing the panel completely!

Found solutions to EXACTLY the same for RVs, but the connectors are different......?

thoughts?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 19th, 2023, 9:39 am

Aflix wrote:Source of the post HI All,

I am about to embark on a similar process, I have a 1992 Carver 33, in ok condition. However, as things die, I am intending to go to new tech.

First thing I have done, I got a bluetti 200max... This has the capability of running EVERYTHING except heating/cooling for a good day at least. When I come back to shore, I just hook the bluetti up to shore power to charge, and as act as a bypasss and UPS!. However, I also know you can input almost 1000KW/H with solar, in addition you can also be hooked up to the battery charger to charge while under engine power (haven't tried the last two yet, as I am only 4 hrs between pedestals at the moment!

My first issue is that I wanted to connect the bluetti 30amp output, directly to the shore power input on the boat, so the bluetti is truly powering all the 110v on "shore 1" through the panel as if the boat is hooked to shore- I can't find any dog ear etc. connector that can do this off the shelf! Help! At the moment, I am powering the boat through loads of extension cords to the 15amp (4 of them) outlets, and by-passing the panel completely!

Found solutions to EXACTLY the same for RVs, but the connectors are different......?

thoughts?

You probably should post some pictures of the plugs or receptacles that you're referring to, so you can get some better responses, otherwise folks are just guessing.

You also want to make sure you know how the "bluetti" handles the neutral and ground connections. In a ''pass-through" mode on a boat, it should be isolating those two leads. When in 'self-generating' mode, it needs to connect them together. This is important for safety for all on or around the boat, as well as any of your metal though-hull devices.

United States of America
boh50
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby boh50 » February 13th, 2024, 8:49 am

Both options you're looking at are top-notch, but I'd lean towards the EcoFlow Delta Pro for a few reasons. It's got a hefty battery capacity that can easily handle your AC, fridge, and other essentials over the weekend. Plus, its ability to integrate with solar panels and the flexibility in charging options make it a winner for a boat setup.

Given your 600W solar array, you'll be in a good position to keep the Delta Pro charged, especially during those sunny days at sea. Just remember, solar charging efficiency can vary, so having your main engine alternators as a backup is a smart move.

On this site, you can find a lot of articles that will help you with your decision + guides on setups.

Return to “Electrical”