Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Solar Generator replacement for Kohler gas genny

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
GFB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 350 Mariner

Solar Generator replacement for Kohler gas genny

Postby GFB » October 5th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Hi

My Kohler gas generator (20yrs old) is probably shot. I'm thinking of replacing it next spring with a new solar generator (ie bluetti 200p or Ecoflow Delta pro) with enough power to solve my daily needs at anchor for up to 4 days max (weekend warrior only). I will need it to run my ac 16000btu, plus fridge plus lights and the odd recharging of devices such as phone and laptop on the fly, and electric head/water pump on occasional use. My only charging sources would be Solar array (approx. 600w combined) and main engine alternators. Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup on a boat? My current generator will be taken out and sold off if possible, taking 600lbs (approx) out of the boat not to mention the silly ($$$) maintenance costs. My starter batteries will remain as is. All thoughts appreciated!!!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Solar Generator replacement for Kohler gas genny

Postby km1125 » October 5th, 2021, 3:18 pm

There are a couple threads on here where some members have put in some solar charging and did nice jobs.

The big difference is going to run at AC/HVAC system. Just running it for about 6 hours is going to take 600 Amp-Hours out of a battery bank. That alone would be a HUGE battery bank (with lead-acid, that would mean you'd want at least a 1200AH battery bank). 600W of solar would take 10 hours (probably much longer) to restore that juice so that would mean multiple days of charging (in good sunlight) just to get that 6 hours of run-time. Now start tacking on all your other loads and it just gets worse from there.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 5th, 2021, 9:08 pm

A solar generator will only produce a small fraction of what your generator puts out. Take the AC out of the equation and you might make it happen, but add a couple more batteries just to be safe.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » October 6th, 2021, 1:02 am

The math includes: determine what each device will take from the bank: how much for how long over a typical period of time between charging. That will show your AC as the big 'culprit' and next are fridge(s).

Then figure out if you can reduce that consumption. Insulate your fridge(s) better, change old inefficient devices for more economical ones. Discard stuff you don't really need anyway. Change standby devices to full-off devices (may be a simple switch in the power feed but mind the memory) and so on.

That should give you a number of capital you need in the battery bank for a typical trip.

Then turn to the income: solar is nice but requires...er.... sunlight. So check how much sun you can catch during a typical trip and do the math with the number of panels you can install.
You'll be surprised on how little you can produce during that trip.
Solar is great for long term charging, so the bank will be full when you return to the marina after a work week. But not at quickly delivering a lot of power to fill the bank fast.

Then there is the technology. The bank will consist of some type of battery. Old style with lead-acid is known and lots of info around. Main drawback: big, heavy and cannot handle deep discharge. (i.e.: the bank always needs quite a lot of charge left in it so it will not get damaged) but relatively cheap and simple to charge.
Modern option are deep-cycle batteries with cool abbreviations like LiPo and whatnot. Great stuff as it can hold a lot of charge in less space and can be drawn empty much further. However, also needs some smarter hardware to maintain (to manage the way it is charged, maintained and drawn emtpy). Also much higher investment upfront.

You may want to do a bit of research in the sailing world. They have a typical way of using electricity as they do not generate by engine often. Their importance to weight, usage and generation are much higher than for us, who have lots of space and power at hand. Relatively.

Depending on how far you want to go in rebuilding the electrics, you could set it all up to consume minimally from a battery bank and invest in a modern generator for the AC.

Biggest challenge with panels is the surface: you need quite a lot of it and directed to the sun to get it to produce. And a boat doesn't have much useful surface to put them on. Well, not untill they come in colors and shapes other than blueish-black hard panels. (yes, flexible do exist but still plain ugly on a white boat)
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 6th, 2021, 4:16 am

As mentioned by others the units mentioned will only supply a fraction of what you need. The units you pointed to are 2000wh units which is only about 170AH which is not much at all if you want to run AC, Probably need close to 800ah or more just to do a full night assuming AC is running. Remove AC and even then you are looking at maybe only 2 days assuming no sun. IMHO it is not a feasible project due to the cost involved if you want to go big enough to do AC not to mention you would not have enough solar real estate to put the juice back in a reasonable time period.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 6th, 2021, 6:55 am

Ya I'd take a long hard look before going down this road. It sounds great but there are limitations. I suspect there'll be times you'll really wish you had your generator again.
GFB wrote:Source of the post.....My Kohler gas generator (20yrs old) is probably shot.....
Why do you say that? What's wrong with it, and what's been done to confirm that it can't be repaired?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 6th, 2021, 10:03 am

GFB wrote:Source of the post Hi

My Kohler gas generator (20yrs old) is probably shot. I'm thinking of replacing it next spring with a new solar generator (ie bluetti 200p or Ecoflow Delta pro) with enough power to solve my daily needs at anchor for up to 4 days max (weekend warrior only). I will need it to run my ac 16000btu, plus fridge plus lights and the odd recharging of devices such as phone and laptop on the fly, and electric head/water pump on occasional use. My only charging sources would be Solar array (approx. 600w combined) and main engine alternators. Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup on a boat? My current generator will be taken out and sold off if possible, taking 600lbs (approx) out of the boat not to mention the silly ($$$) maintenance costs. My starter batteries will remain as is. All thoughts appreciated!!!

Welcome to the forum.

I sympathize with you about that noisy hard to work on gen. Removing that would open up a very nice space to install a serious battery bank. Now having said that I , like the others will say that large battery banks are fine but there comes the time when you have to put the power back that you remove.....the batteries are the easy part so to speak.

So with the winter coming you will have time to consider how to do that efficiently......remember there is no free power.......but if you are only doing the two day weekend thing I believe it is possible. The other caveat is in certain areas boats without generators don't sell well, just something else to consider.

How many hours on the Kohler.....is it the 7.3 ??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 6th, 2021, 11:21 am

The other caveat is in certain areas boats without generators don't sell well, just something else to consider.

Good point, a generator on a larger boat is a must have. That being said, I vote for a genny rebuild. :captain2:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 6th, 2021, 11:31 am

I've always thought the ideal solution for something like this -especially in diesel boats - would be a very small (1000-1500W) DC diesel generator, probably 48 Volt, with a 48 volt battery bank and a large inverter (~3000W).

With an auto-start feature to make sure the batteries never got too depleted and it could provide power when the really big loads were running so the battery bank might never get depleted from those. A generator like this could be as small as a milkcrate, and really sip fuel instead of gulp it.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 6th, 2021, 2:11 pm

Unfortunately insurance companies don't like "auto-start" generator controllers on boats anymore because of past incidents and OEMs stopped supporting them for marine applications because of it, but I know what you're saying.

Return to “Electrical”