Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Solar Generator replacement for Kohler gas genny

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
GFB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 350 Mariner

Re: Solar Generator replacement for Kohler gas genny

Postby GFB » October 6th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Thank you everyone for all the helpful thoughts. I did a little more research and found an online wattage calculator for everyday appliances etc and came up with a number between 6.5-8Kwh per day (the higher number mainly dependent on the A/C cycling off and on patterns). The solar generator would therefore have to be above 7000Kwh, which points to the EcoFlow Delta Pro with an expandable battery. As was noted, the real block is the regeneration of energy - doesn't look as though the solar can handle the charge loading necessary on a day to day basis....
We are looking at this seriously for an additional reasoning: In our area of the world (St Lawrence River park system) where we do 90% of our boating, gas/diesel generators are not allowed at the Park docks or mooring buoys simply due to noise concerns. So no genny during the night anyway, therefore no AC. In the various bays we stay at when at anchor the common courtesy so no genny after dusk - in 3+ years boating there (old boat) we have only heard a generator 1 time - and he was watching TV from his swim platform, odd but there it is.
Solar generators removes these limitations. That means we'll be able to have A/C at night for the first time (envy of our friends etc...)
As a matter of example my dockmate (Prowler 34MY) tells me he uses his generator 1per every 3 weeks out. As our generator has been non functional for over 2 months, it hasn't really bothered me. Next year will be different.
Viper et al - it is a Kohler 5ecd circa 2000. Repair at this point is estimated north of 2K$, with no real guarantees. And like all good used boats it crapped out 2 weeks after delivery....

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 6th, 2021, 10:30 pm

Can't say I've ever been so hot on the hook at night that I've had to turn on the AC. I've run a fan in the berth on a few really hot nights though and that worked just fine for us. We have a 12 volt fan but our better one is 120V AC which runs off a small dedicated inverter. We have a cigarette lighter in the aft cabin so it's easy access to 12 volt power for the inverter.

Did they explain what's wrong with the genny?

Topic author Canada
GFB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby GFB » October 7th, 2021, 12:33 pm

Hi Viper it looks like the Controller (my mechanic thinks) is fried re corrosion issues. Maybe a sensor or two issue here and there. Every time we fix something another code goes off or it simply won't turn over or start.

It did run during the survey, though grudgingly. My mechanic just shook his head and asked if I really needed it....

I would like to move to a solution that is cost effective and practical and quiet. Seems I can have one but maybe not the other.

Interestingly enough EcoFlow makes a portable auto start generator that would solve this dilemma, designed to work specifically with their generator system. But it's still a generator even if somewhat quieter.

Not to mention insurance issues.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 7th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Is this being looked at by a certified Kohler Service tech? That can make a huge difference.

If you took away the splashing of the water out the exhaust port, it would be way quieter as that seems to be the biggest complaint. Without that, it's just a hum. You can accomplish that by installing a water/exhaust separator. This diverts the water through the bottom of the hull which drastically cuts down on the amount of noise out the above water discharge. The exhaust gases would continue out the discharge port as they do now but with no splashing water. Because the muffler is still used, the discharge of gases over the side continues to be muffled. If a member on here with a separator can chime in with his opinion of the noise level, that might help.

Topic author Canada
GFB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby GFB » October 8th, 2021, 10:43 pm

Thanks Viper, that sounds brilliant, I'll look into that re the exhaust seperation concept. Re whether he's a certified Kohler technician I believe so though I've never formally asked. He's the marinas master mechanic.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 9th, 2021, 9:03 am

Where is she located and what marina?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 9th, 2021, 9:42 am

GFB wrote:Source of the post I'll look into that re the exhaust seperation concept

When you had this genny running what was your biggest complaint ?.....just the exhaust noise or the overall noise. I had one just the same on the same boat and never found the exhaust noise to be bad at all, CO yes, vibration from the high rpm and the poor location of the raw water pump for maintenance yes.

One thing , if you decide to repair then a little advice.....because the control box sits directly below the center deck rear drain then if the deck/hatch is not sealed well ,water will drop onto the control box. Make up a deflector to fit above the box so any rain / deck water runs past the box.

I have to admit I will be looking forward to see if there is a solution to removing the genny successfully with this solar equipment, might be pricey though but quiet :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
GFB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby GFB » October 12th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Hi folks, out of touch over the long weekend.

I'm at the Village Quay marina - approx 12km east of Gananoque.

Re the deflector over the control box, another great idea. Good to hear the experience thanks for that.

Probably my biggest issue is the noise and the water (again noise) and the national park no gen policy. Also worried about endless maintenance issues and have the opportunity to try and fix this.

I need some type of solar next summer, so thought I would solve two problems at the same time.

One thought from someone else was a Methane fuel cell to top up batteries (Pacific Northwest Systems is big on this) but pricey, maybe too much.

Still planning and gives me something to do over the long very long winter. Going to keep researching this, see if new tech over this year has an answer.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 12th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Your biggest hurtle is running the AC on the hook. Other than that, short term high loads aren't that difficult to deal with. You can do that with just an inverter. Solar panels will help in topping up some loss under the right conditions but it'd have to be quite the system to keep AC's running all the time not to mention the size of the battery bank needed. All your solar charging would have to be completed during daylight, and you'd only get optimal performance if it's sunny.

Have you looked into anything else like wind generators, tidal generators, etc?

Topic author Canada
GFB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby GFB » October 13th, 2021, 8:57 pm

Yes, you are completely right about this ac recharge issue. The solutions I find all point back to using a (small/portable) generator (gas)..

I thought of wind but the efficiency numbers seem poorer than solar and that's only if you have steady wind. The boating area we are in is notoriously lacking steady wind.

Return to “Electrical”