Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacement LED 12v Salon Ceiling Lighting Pucks

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Replacement LED 12v Salon Ceiling Lighting Pucks

Postby Midnightsun » November 23rd, 2021, 7:00 am

This keeps coming up so figured I should make a post directing other to what is available today as for the those crumbling ceiling fixtures on many Carvers. The ones I refer to are the Hera brand, this will give you an idea of what the look like.

Original Hera Brand Fixture, Discontinued Many Years Ago. https://www.eclectic-ware.com/hera-repl ... parts.html

Problem with these is the heat from the halogen bulb dries out the plastic until it crumbles by touch, not worth buying used ones or trying to find new ones as the plastic is probably so old they will not last.

Not sure who posted this but I did find this on this site several years ago and can confirm it is a direct replacement, all LED light fixture. I guess there was so much demand someone decided to make a carbon copy of the size/style. I did find out several RV manufacturers also used these in the past and have the same issue with deteriorating plastic.

So here is the newer kid on the block, called Dream Lighting. These will fit into the existing holes once the Hera units are removed. The only difference is the Hera units did not care if they were connected in any way as polarity on incandescent/halogen does not matter. LED are not the same and you need to get the polarity correct for them to work. No worry as they are "polarity protected" meaning just try one way and if the do not light up, reverse the leads and it should light up and you are done.

TheDream lights still are plastic however without the heat from the halogen bulb and being away from UV light (sun) I suspect they will last the lifetime of the boat, time will tell.

Dream Light LED Light/Fixture. https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lighting-Recessed-Ceiling-Silver/dp/B00S4CPL5U?pd_rd_w=OQY2y&pf_rd_p=bcca84ef-5f4d-4682-852e-b0b38f16e8ba&pf_rd_r=SNGQ3WHQF50CCWT8QG3K&pd_rd_r=81b1cd65-efe2-4006-99c3-5e6c53848717&pd_rd_wg=M2wxn&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_csi_pb_allspark_BIA_0_t

Today I came across another light which also seems to be the same size and another copy of the Hera size. I have not tried these however hopefully someone here will and confirm fitment in the Hera hole on the boat. These are made of machined aluminum, the lens cap screws off and have metal clips on the side to secure them in place via friction. Thought I would include these as they may be a great alternative to Dream lights.

"Aloveco" Aluminum 3W LED Light/Fixture. https://www.amazon.com/Recessed-Waterproof-Ultra-Thin-Interior-Motorhome/dp/B07B8B2XJ7?pd_rd_w=NWrte&pf_rd_p=bcca84ef-5f4d-4682-852e-b0b38f16e8ba&pf_rd_r=RMP2Z68E2BAT3PNH8465&pd_rd_r=d08469e2-7308-418c-bd60-87655baec1e3&pd_rd_wg=CwRjH&pd_rd_i=B07B8B2XJ7&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_csi_pb_allspark_BIA_3_t

Note to Admin, would be nice to make this a sticky as this is asked way too frequently.
Last edited by Midnightsun on November 23rd, 2021, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 466 Aft Cabin MY

Re: Replacement LED 12v Salon Ceiling Lighting Pucks

Postby wkeith » November 23rd, 2021, 7:19 am

EXCELLENT!!!
Thank you,
Walter

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 23rd, 2021, 7:22 am

Those aluminum lights peaked my curiosity as they seem to be ajustable in both color temperature (warm white to cool white) and intensity (dimming) via included remote. I went ahead and purchased a set for testing purposes. Will update all once I have tested and tried. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 23rd, 2021, 10:44 am

Great post! Thanks.

As a reminder, if your old fixtures are still in decent shape, replace those HOT halogens with much better LED’s. I replaced at least a dozen on my 356. Slightly brighter, much cooler, way more efficient and probably will never have to be replaced as they last thousands of hours.

If I recall, I paid less than $15 for a pack of 10.

United States of America
Coldcruisin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Coldcruisin » November 23rd, 2021, 1:38 pm

Be advised on those oloveco branded aluminum fixtures: Depending on your application, the 2.16" base diameter is too big for the holes cut for my 45 voyagers salon lights. If you are so inclined, you can dremmel your way to happiness, but I will probably try the others. They are however, nice units. YMMV

Canada
M. Cote
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 350 Mariner, twin Mercruisers 7.4 L MPI’s

Postby M. Cote » December 2nd, 2021, 7:05 pm

Excellent piece Hans, thank you very much. I’m experiencing the same issue so I will go ahead and give them a shot. Will keep you posted.

Mike.

Return to “Electrical”