Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Inverter and transfer switch

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Inverter and transfer switch

Postby tonyiiiafl » December 26th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Thinking of installing an inverter with a transfer switch. now I have twin 30A shore power, a genset ans solar connected to the house bank, where the inverter will be. I saw the GO Power TS30, which has 2 separate sources of input power. How would this work with the twin 30A cords? Is this an install for a pro?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Inverter and transfer switch

Postby km1125 » December 27th, 2021, 10:53 am

I'm guessing most of one of those 30A inputs is just HVAC stuff. If you're not planning on running that with the inverter (that would take a HUGE battery bank), then just installing the inverter on the other 30A input would be what you'd want. However, you might also have some big loads on that side, like a water heater.

You really have to figure out your plan on what you want the inverter to power and how long your bank will support your needs. That would drive how you integrate it into the panel(s).

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » December 27th, 2021, 11:34 am

Totally on point. More to think about

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » December 27th, 2021, 3:40 pm

I would only run one side of your panel with the inverter/transfer switch and that would be the house side. Not practical, nor wise to run A/C, Hot water, Ice makers or ovens with the inverter. If you have a generator, use that for the big stuff.

Use the inverter for receptacles for running electronic equipment, lamps etc. Just ensure you get a pure sine unit.

I only use smaller inverters to assist me while I on the hook, like for my CPAP machine. I have no need for inverter wired into the panel. It is strictly a personal choice, for sure

Greg

Return to “Electrical”