Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery charger only charging Genet battery?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Dark Horse
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "Dragonfly"
2001 Carver 350 Mariner
Twin 350 MAG MPI

Re: Battery charger only charging Genet battery?

Postby Dark Horse » January 15th, 2022, 2:38 pm

Sorry if I was confusing. The charger is putting out 7v. The batteries are in the 10 to 11 volt range.
" The trouble with trouble is it usually starts out as fun!"

2001 350 Mariner w/ 350 Mercruisers
Home Port - Hudson, FL

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 15th, 2022, 3:21 pm

Dark Horse wrote:Source of the post Sorry if I was confusing. The charger is putting out 7v. The batteries are in the 10 to 11 volt range.

And that goes to my comment that some chargers will not charge until they sense a "reasonable" voltage from the battery. I have two chargers in my garage like that. I have to hook up an "old school" (unregulated) charger to get the battery into a "normal" range before those more advanced chargers will take on the task and finish the battery completely/correctly. I'm not sure about your particular charger if it would do that or not.

Dark Horse
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
2001 Carver 350 Mariner
Twin 350 MAG MPI

Postby Dark Horse » January 15th, 2022, 4:07 pm

Batteries wernt at 7 that was what the charger appears to be putting out. Batteries were at 10-11 volts

Home Port - Hudson, FL

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 15th, 2022, 4:12 pm

10-11 volts is still very, very dead. Not low, but really dead.

Dark Horse
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
2001 Carver 350 Mariner
Twin 350 MAG MPI

Postby Dark Horse » January 15th, 2022, 6:36 pm

The batteries are only 2 weeks. Obvioudly something is draining them but the real issue is why instead the battery charger recharging them

Home Port - Hudson, FL

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » January 15th, 2022, 9:05 pm

Dark Horse wrote:The batteries are only 2 weeks. Obvioudly something is draining them but the real issue is why instead the battery charger recharging them

Is the fridge is dc or the ac breaker is turned off causing it to run on dc then it will definitely deplete your batteries.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 16th, 2022, 9:31 am

If you're checking charger output as you described, you won't get a true reading. If I read it right, you disconnected the batteries and took your readings at the charger output wires to see what the output voltage was. The problem in doing that with relatively recent chargers is that the charger has no battery reference voltage to determine what the output voltage should be.

With everything hooked up as it should be, turn your main battery switch off, turn your charger main breaker on and take voltage readings at each battery. With the main battery selector switch off, your two main battery banks will be isolated from each other, this won't allow a battery to influence voltage readings of the other. Depending on the charger and how long it's been on for, you should see a voltage anywhere from 12.8 to about 14.8 volts depending the charge cycle the charger is currently in. If it's in an equalization cycle, you'll see voltages around 15.5 volts. A reading much lower than 12.8 volts warrants further investigation but you have to approach it as a whole system and not be quick to condemn the charger because of low voltage readings, several things need to be checked first. The battery voltage you mentioned isn't low enough to prevent the charger from kicking in, so I suspect that's not the issue. I would start by ensuring all connections are clean, tight, and in good condition/properly made. This includes the connections at the charge breakers which will likely be at a remote location as bud described. Ensure the main negative cable connections away from the batteries are also clean and tight as this may make a difference on the output charges depending on where the charger ground is hooked up.

When you measured the generator battery, did you disconnect the charge wire and measure it that way or did you just measure at the battery with the wires in place?

Check out all the recommendations we made and let us know what you find so we can go from there.

Dark Horse
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
2001 Carver 350 Mariner
Twin 350 MAG MPI

Postby Dark Horse » January 16th, 2022, 9:58 am

I did not measure the generator battery only used the source function on the charger to cycle thru the batteries i.e battery 1 - 1 red bar (low battery), battery 2 (genset) 3 yellow bars (battery at 80%) battery 3- 1 red bar (low battery) .
If the battery charger was in fact charging batteries 1 and 3 they would be showing yellow bars ( it has 4 yellow bars each one signifying a level of charge from 20% up to 100% )
When I went to the boat Friday I turned off the main battery switch so there is no longer any drain on batteries to see if they would recover.
I am heading there today and bringing a regular battery charger to recharge battery if needed.

Home Port - Hudson, FL

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 16th, 2022, 10:17 am

I am curious as this may be important to this problem wondering whether it is in the original factory location or not as to where it was in my 2001 Mariner

Where is your charger mounted in your boat and can you take a pic of your panel where the battery switch and breakers are and post then we can help with the switches as they are.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Dark Horse
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
2001 Carver 350 Mariner
Twin 350 MAG MPI

Postby Dark Horse » January 16th, 2022, 10:36 am

The battery charger is located where the original one was - it is on a compartment located under the seat at the table.
I will take a picture of the panel today. But I am atta hing a drawing of it from owners manual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Home Port - Hudson, FL

Return to “Electrical”