Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

30 amp or 50 amp cords - dumb question

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

30 amp or 50 amp cords - dumb question

Postby tgebler » June 17th, 2022, 9:04 am

So I have been using two thirty amp cords at my dock. I recently learned one of the cords is "burnt" at the female plug (according to my mechanic). The boat came with two 50 amp cords which I have never used. There is also a splitter, i.e., 50 amp female to two 30 amp male plugs. The marine has 50 amp power available.

Someone needs to explain to me whether I should buy another 30 amp cord (or just the female plug) or use the 50 amp cords and in what configuration.

Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 30 amp or 50 amp cords - dumb question

Postby km1125 » June 17th, 2022, 11:11 am

If the boat has two 30Amp sockets and you have two 30 amp shore power outlets to use, then I'd stay with using two 30Amp cords. Using a 50A and the splitter would be fine if all you have is 50A shore power available, which you might run into while travelling.

You can either replace the entire cord or just the female plug. Just make sure you make good correct connections if you replace the plug and get a good waterproof boot to put over the connector.

More importantly though, is you need to check the sockets on the boat. The connections on the back side of those sockets could get corroded or loose, resulting a high-resistant connection that WILL heat up under load, which can also damage the female connector plugged into it. I had a friend with a 356 who had that issue, He was surprised at how bad the connection on the back side was and had to cut a few inches of the cable off to get to good cable to reconnect. His socket was OK but if he had left it too long that could have been damaged too.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 30 amp or 50 amp cords - dumb question

Postby Midnightsun » June 17th, 2022, 4:09 pm

We need to know what you have going into the boat. I assume you have dual 30a inlets? That being the case you can use one of the 50a cords you have. Plug into a 50a socket on the pedestal however you would need a dual 30a splitter to convert the 50a to dual 30's to plug into into the boat like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203478871664?epid=1064345493&hash=item2f60492e70:g:AtIAAOSw-ItgtS1p

IF, 50a is not available at another marina, you will need to use the splitter you already have which will plug into 2 30a outlets on the pedestal then into your 50a cord and use the same splitter I just told you to purchase.

OR, you can simply continue to use dual 30a cords with no splitters however I do recommend you change them both to new all around as if one is on the blink the other is not far behind. They do become serious fire hazards with time. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Electrical”