Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

House batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

House batteries

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 3rd, 2022, 12:30 pm

My house batteries are 5 years old and I will be replacing next season. There are no issues, but feel for trouble free continuity they should be replaced before they fail. As of now I am using Trojan T105’s, hooked in series to make a 12V. I have never run out of battery power yet. Overnight with TV, fridge, toilet and fans, etc We go to bed at 95% and never see less. than 75% in the AM. Of late, the solar has brought them back to the 90 +/- percent by 11 AM. I have limited space in teh battery area, as I would like a house bank of 4, each set hooked in series then a parallel connection to double the AH.

What is the opinion here for replacement. I am leaning towards AGM for the maintenance free water check. I see Trojan makes a 6V AGM, and a gel. Warranty on Interstate is 36 months full replacement. I have two 12V AGM in series to make a 24V system for my sideshifter thruster, so far they work great!

I was looking at putting them under the aft bed, but with teh AC in there it may not be a good idea with the chance of ignition when it comes on.

Hope to see lots of suggestions and scenarios.

Thanks as always!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: House batteries

Postby g36 » July 13th, 2022, 10:15 am

Sorry no one's answered. I still use wet trojan 105s. I've used these for my boats and golf cart at home. I have a used sets of these older than 5 years and will continue to use them till I see a very noticeable reduction in the capacity. Or failures in a specific
battery. I don't see any reason to swap out just for the age factor. Just my opinion.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 13th, 2022, 11:04 am

If you have a separate charger for your house and engine batteries (apart from the thruster charging system), and you are moving your house from flooded to AGM, consider that it's likely your charger can only output one charging curve at a time to all its banks. That means you'd have to change your engine bank to AGM as well if you want to maintain them with the proper charging curve. The two curves are pretty close but best to stick with the proper spec.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 13th, 2022, 11:49 am

I am not a fan of AGM, have had issues with longevity in the past and for the price one pays for them one should be getting a longer life span. Also they tend to come in with quite less capacity compared to standard flooded batteries. As Viper mentioned, having different chemistries can create less than perfect charging however I did have a multi chemistry charger on my previous boat so yes there are some but far and few between. Here is one example of multi chemistry, even does Lithium. https://no.co/genpro10x4
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 13th, 2022, 4:12 pm

Personally I don't have a problem with regular good quality ( trojan/rolls surrette) wet batteries, I would rather maintain them and know what I have. My guess here may be, you want to have all the same batteries, did you get AGM for the thruster, can't remember ? The charge curve is close but two chargers would be still fairly simple to deal with if you feel the need.

I guess for me if the install is simple and if placement is no problem then flooded would be my choice, no need to complicate matters.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » July 14th, 2022, 4:04 pm

I put Carbon Foam Lead Acid batteries in when I bought mine and happy with them so far. Quite a few benefits compared to the ol' regular wet lead acid technology. More expensive, sure.

Not sure I'd do it again given how much cheaper Lithium has become in recent years. It's really come down to the point where if you look at the longevity of lithium vs any LA battery, the lithium can't be beat. Then it's just a quick run of the numbers to see that lithium costs less and lasts longer.

Of course there are additional considerations as others have mentions (charge curves of chargers/solar controllers, starter bank compatibility, etc.)

Food for though.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 14th, 2022, 5:49 pm

Looks like i got you up front for some discussion now. :-D
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 15th, 2022, 2:23 pm

Not sure I'd do it again given how much cheaper Lithium has become in recent years

I bought my Lithiums last fall and am just about to flip the switch on final install. I think I lucked out because finding Lithium batteries today is next to impossible to find as there is such a demand not to mention lithium has gone up no less than 10x since the beginning of 2022. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lithium-prices-nearly-doubled-2022-170000490.html
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 16th, 2022, 2:44 pm

Hi Bud, I did use AGM for the bow thruster LOVE them so far.

Return to “Electrical”