Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

House batteries

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
Chona
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3607

House batteries

Postby Chona » July 5th, 2022, 4:16 pm

My 88 carver 3607 comes with 4 batteries. One for engine starting one for generator starting and two large 4D house batteries. One is reading 13 volts the other 9. I have the switch in the closet to go from battery one to two to all. My norcold fridge works on shore power but very recently will not turn on from house batteries. The light is green and faint and pulses slightly which means it’s getting some power not enough to get cold
I have switched back and forth between batteries and set it to the “all” setting and still nothing. I am replacing the one 4d house battery tomorrow. Any suggestions on why fridge acts like it wants to work?

As a side not I read people watching tv and things off of house batteries. Mine power cabin lights water pump and used to be fridge. No plugs no tv obviously no ac. Is this normal ? Thanks for any thoughts.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: House batteries

Postby km1125 » July 5th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Why are you replacing the one 4D battery? It sounds like those are setup in parallel as a house bank and when you do that you should have the same type and age batteries.

But, getting back to your issue. You didn't say which one is reading 13 and which is reading 9, but I suspect the house bank and the starting battery is what's connected to the 1/2/all switch and that the generator battery is dedicated to the generator and not really involved here. Although, you should check the voltage on that, because you have one charger for all the batteries then your genset battery might not be being charged, along with the house bank.

That brings up a question.... do you have a shore charger and how is it configured.

If the fridge is running directly on the house bank, and if that's the bank that you're measuring 9 volts on, then the fridge will NOT run on that and you could damage the fridge by trying to run it on a very low voltage like that.

Topic author Canada
Chona
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3607

Postby Chona » September 15th, 2022, 3:35 pm

Not sure if I vervet thanked you. Hopefully not too late. Thanks for the info. Yes both should have been changed at same time you were right on

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 15th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Using an inverter can allow you to use your house batteries to convert power to 120 vac . equipment like tv etc.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “Electrical”