Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2003 360ss shore power ground fault issue

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: 2003 360ss shore power ground fault issue

Postby tomschauer » July 27th, 2022, 11:25 pm

in many of these boats the neutral wires (white) and the grounds (green) are on a common bus bar at the breaker panel. A GFCI measures the current from the hot to the neutral and any difference it will trip. So, if your neutrals are intermingled between two shore power inlets (very common), or a ground and a neutral are on the same screw somewhere it will trip the shore power gfci.
This can be a PIA to find and fix, but it can be done. Lots of time, but usually not much $ for materials.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 28th, 2022, 6:42 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Where do you put all the shore power cable on the boat when you're going out for a ride?

I have what I call my travel cord stored under the hatch in the cockpit which only gets used when transient docking along with my travel hose. My dock cord and city water hose are fixed to the dock and remain there all season long except if we leave for a few weeks vacationing on the boat where I remove the hose and shore power cord which get stored in my car trunk until we return. Also do the same for my fenders, 3 big ones tied to the side of the dock with soft fender covers on them, these stay there all season long even when we are out for extended periods. This way we do not need to deploy/store fenders every time we go out and come back.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 28th, 2022, 8:35 am

Baby Lentz Crewz wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post Not sure what you mean by "hardwired setup". Is there no plug-in on the boat end? Do you have a cable management system (or spool, like a Glendinning system)?

I doubt you have to cut fiberglass to resolve the issue. Do you have a reverse-polarity system? A galvanic isolator?

We do have a reverse polarity light system and those are fine. The surveyor tested for that when we were buying the boat at that checked out. We have power leaching from the boat to the shore power.

A little extra info.....Should be a sticky IMO

https://www.proboat.com/2011/10/demysti ... onnection/
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
Baby Lentz Crewz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 360 SS

Postby Baby Lentz Crewz » July 28th, 2022, 3:50 pm

There is a cabinet in the back of the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Baby Lentz Crewz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Baby Lentz Crewz » July 28th, 2022, 3:52 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post Where do you put all the shore power cable on the boat when you're going out for a ride?

I have what I call my travel cord stored under the hatch in the cockpit which only gets used when transient docking along with my travel hose. My dock cord and city water hose are fixed to the dock and remain there all season long except if we leave for a few weeks vacationing on the boat where I remove the hose and shore power cord which get stored in my car trunk until we return. Also do the same for my fenders, 3 big ones tied to the side of the dock with soft fender covers on them, these stay there all season long even when we are out for extended periods. This way we do not need to deploy/store fenders every time we go out and come back.

I wish it were possible to do as you suggest but the boat end is hard wired into the panel inside the boat

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 28th, 2022, 4:13 pm

Hmmm, learn something new every day. Never saw a hardwired setup unless it was equipped with a Glendinning cable master.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Baby Lentz Crewz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Baby Lentz Crewz » July 28th, 2022, 5:03 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post The leakage could be coming from any appliance, battery charger etc....don't just focus on the shore power cord unless it is in the water. Your boat is probably just above the threshold for your marina but below some others. Very difficult and time consuming to find these sorts of things.

We seem to have found the culprit. The ice maker was trying it. Even when the breaker was off. It was coming through the common.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 28th, 2022, 5:54 pm

A marine ice maker?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 28th, 2022, 6:16 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post The leakage could be coming from any appliance, battery charger etc....don't just focus on the shore power cord unless it is in the water. Your boat is probably just above the threshold for your marina but below some others. Very difficult and time consuming to find these sorts of things.

We seem to have found the culprit. The ice maker was trying it. Even when the breaker was off. It was coming through the common.

Good stuff....glad to see you took the time to sort it out......many would have just blamed the dock service. Actually you may have saved a life here...... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » August 5th, 2022, 11:29 pm

Was it an AC/DC ice maker? My fridge created the same situation for me, through the AC to DC power unit on the fridge. When it failed, a small amount of AC leaked back through the ground.

Return to “Electrical”