Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

need gasoline sending unit - 1984 Santa Cruz

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Capt'n CRUNCH!
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 2667 Santa Cruz (350 Chevy)
2005 custom 18' alum 300 hp jet boat
Myriad Jon boats and skinny water vessels

need gasoline sending unit - 1984 Santa Cruz

Postby Capt'n CRUNCH! » September 9th, 2022, 5:41 pm

Hello friends,

My 26' foot vintage Carver (single tank) gas gauge doesn't work - reads full when full, but then drops as soon as any appreciable fuel is used and stops at 3/4 full, and does not drop below that, (used 37 gallons the last time out and it did not move below 3/4).

But here's the odd aspect - I bought the boat last October and the fuel gauges (flybridge and lower helm), neither worked. I was told that a mechanic had replaced the sending unit/float assembly, and that did not work. So I unplugged one of the wires to one of the gauges, and then the other gauge appeared to work, so I thought - but it was only an 'improvement' to the above condition (which is no good).

So in looking at where the sending unit/float bolts to the top of the tank, it appears that all but one of the small screws line up with the holes in the tank, but one - so I am somewhat certain I have the wrong sender/float assembly. (Probably also why it would not work whatsoever with two gauges.)

Where might I find a replacement sending unit/float assembly? The tank is a 103 gallon Skyline Industries model 43176 manufactured in January 1984.

Any leads, help, advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark
Cheers, and keep a tight line :captain:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: need gasoline sending unit - 1984 Santa Cruz

Postby bud37 » September 9th, 2022, 6:07 pm

Is it at all possible the sending unit is oriented or set wrong in the tank ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Capt'n CRUNCH!
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Capt'n CRUNCH! » September 9th, 2022, 6:12 pm

Hmmm, didn't know that the orientation could be off...the bolt pattern is a little off, (one cap screw hole in the sender does not line up with the hole in the tank), so again, I was assuming that the mechanic tried the only gauge he could get, and it simply wasn't right. Plus, the tank is flat-topped and rectangular, so it sure wouldn't seem to be directional issue(?)...

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 9th, 2022, 9:47 pm

You might pull that sender out and check. Are the holes the exact same spacing all around, or is it possible to rotate it left or right and have the holes line up?

Some senders have adjustable float arms, so they can be used with different depth tanks. You might need to adjust that length, or the mechanism might be stuck (or even catching on something inside the tank like a baffle) and not allowing it to swing the full length.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 9th, 2022, 10:49 pm

The standard bolt pattern will only line up all the holes in one position only, so rotate until they all line up properly. And yes, I agree that if it's the type of sender with an elbow, the lower part of the sender could be getting caught on a baffle if it's facing the wrong way. If your holes aren't lining up, that would make sense. You may also have the incorrect sender in that it's not a dual station sender but a single instead. That would explain why one gauge worked when you unplugged the other. If both gauges get powered up regardless of which station is active, then a dual station sender must be used. All the senders on the engines will be that way also.

Capt'n CRUNCH!
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Capt'n CRUNCH! » September 11th, 2022, 4:06 pm

Thank you KM1125, and Viper,
In that at a minimum, the sending unit is not a dual station, I would like to purchase the correct one, thus skipping straight to the proper repair...
How do I find a new one or replacement?
Or do I need to remove it and look for a manufacturer's name a model # on if??
Thanks again,
Mark

Return to “Electrical”